What's wrong with the website?

Started by Kippykip, September 30, 2017, 10:17:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Kippykip

It seems the Blitzmax NG website has down completely for the last few days, any idea when will it be back up or why it's down?

Henri

- Got 01100011 problems, but the bit ain't 00000001

markcwm

bmx-ng.com was an unofficial site created by Dabz because there was no NG site. It looks like he isn't interested in paying his domain lease again. I have copied his Building for Android tutorial to Syntaxbomb. You can find a copy of Bmx NG Win32 0.77 there too.

Kippykip

Well I'm already paying for my own host, maybe I could create a subdomain like bmx-ng.kippykip.com or kippykip.com/bmx-ng and hand over write/read permission to Dabz

degac

Hi
I just put online www.blitzmax.net to host download, tutorials, resources, etc both for BlitzMax and BlitzMax NG

If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

MikeHart

Quote from: degac on October 02, 2017, 19:12:28
Hi
I just put online www.blitzmax.net to host download, tutorials, resources, etc both for BlitzMax and BlitzMax NG

Just saw on your page that BlitzMax is a trademark of BRL? IF it is, then for sure they didn't protect it like they should by the law. Are you 100% sure it is trademarked?
I never saw the marked like that.

sphinx

Quote from: degac on October 02, 2017, 19:12:28
Hi
Great.
You can start resources by adding your own website/blog, it is really good.
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

degac

@MikeHart

About the trademark I really don't know, but I prefer to believe this :)
In any case - on the local help page when you open MaxIDE you found this line (the first one)

QuoteBlitzMax © Blitz Research Ltd

Language and Compiler: Mark Sibly

Modules: Mark Sibly and Simon Armstrong

Documentation: Mark Sibly and Simon Armstrong

So, I suppose - at least the name 'BlitzMax' - is still a 'trademark' of Mark/Simon
(this means I'm using it without any permission... very good!!! No, really, I need to contact Mark or Simon to know better about this)

What I really want is to maintain the identity (BlitzMax) as I still believe is a strong name and 'sound' really good.

@Sphinx

Thanks, but mine is very 'poor' things... I'm still thinking about the content: links are 'volatile', just see the last months... blitzbasic, then wasted, then github, then bmx-ng, then here...
So my first goal is to add a proper download, with local files (at the moment is just a link to external site - github)

www.blitzmax.org

MikeHart

Quote from: degac on October 03, 2017, 18:43:16
@MikeHart

About the trademark I really don't know, but I prefer to believe this :)
In any case - on the local help page when you open MaxIDE you found this line (the first one)

QuoteBlitzMax © Blitz Research Ltd

Language and Compiler: Mark Sibly

Modules: Mark Sibly and Simon Armstrong

Documentation: Mark Sibly and Simon Armstrong

So, I suppose - at least the name 'BlitzMax' - is still a 'trademark' of Mark/Simon
(this means I'm using it without any permission... very good!!! No, really, I need to contact Mark or Simon to know better about this)

What I really want is to maintain the identity (BlitzMax) as I still believe is a strong name and 'sound' really good.

@Sphinx

Thanks, but mine is very 'poor' things... I'm still thinking about the content: links are 'volatile', just see the last months... blitzbasic, then wasted, then github, then bmx-ng, then here...
So my first goal is to add a proper download, with local files (at the moment is just a link to external site - github)
They have stated a Copyright but not a Trademark. Look into this, it is a serious difference between them.

sphinx

QuoteSo my first goal is to add a proper download, with local files (at the moment is just a link to external site - github)
Indeed, that would be better.
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

ms62

Degac, why do you want to provide link to the original BlitzMax? Since the future of BlitzMax depends on BlitzMax NG and Brucey's wrappers work with it, just simplify the matter and dedicate the site to NG and provide resources that actually work with it.

A question, is it possible to totally call BlitzMax NG something else and offer it as a different product?

degac

@MikeHart

Yes, you are right, trademark AND copyrights are two different things.... my error.  In all these years - I think everyone had the idea that BlitzMax was a trademark of BRL.
But this is work for a legal, and it seems it's not a big problem.

In any case, keeping alive the name - maybe - should preserve everything (copyrights and *derivate* trademark).

@Sphinx

Yes, I've planned to fix the download section for the end of this week - at least for 'vanilla' setup files.

@ms62

In the future surely there will be just one version of BlitzMax.

Since myself have problem with BlitzMax NG, I prefer to keep for the moment both the solutions.
Consider that BlitzMax 'vanilla' is ready-to-use: download, install, program. And it's already tested!
BlitzMax NG needs (at the moment) a little bit more attention.

One thing I would create is an Installer: something to help the user to install, update,setup and compile everything - in one place (maybe looking for online updates for documentation or examples or tutorials etc)

I've did in the past a program for BlitzMax to 'update' specific things (like FASM, or local help) so something like that is possible (and needed!)

Surely Brucey did (and he does...) a HUGE work to keep BlitzMax alive! (I lost the count of the modules available for BlitzMax....)

About your question: ... very, very good question

www.blitzmax.org

ms62

It is true, I tested many modules with original BlitzMax yesterday and many important ones worked. I am not in rush. I will monitor NG progress. I like modules based on DirectX or OpenGL (not SE), otherwise, not for me; and without modules, BlitzMax is limited.