Does NG really work?

Started by ms62, September 29, 2017, 00:18:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

The website idea is currently a "stalled one" because Brucey is moving into another country/town and this of course has way higher priority. Things will have to settle down a bit until progress will be as activily done as before.

bye
Ron

TomToad

Quote from: Henri on September 29, 2017, 12:01:38
TomToad,

is the canvas bug in Windows enviroment ? What MinGW you are using ?

-Henri
Yes, In Windows.  Was just reading back through the github post to remind me of the exact problem.  It apparently only occurred in debug on 32 bit, so 64 bit is fine.  I guess you can debug in 64, then compile 32 bit version release when everything is working.  In case you are interested, here is the github issue I submitted.
https://github.com/bmx-ng/brl.mod/issues/43
I would need to download and compile NG again to see if the latest is fixed as I haven't used it since that post.  I would think Brucey would've closed the issue if he managed to fix it.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

ms62

Henri, yes, I built wxWidget and it worked. I tried Sqlite, it didn't. Why don't you try too and let me know the result. Thanks.

ms62

QuoteThe website idea is currently a "stalled one" because Brucey is moving into another country/town and this of course has way higher priority. Things will have to settle down a bit until progress will be as activily done as before.

I will wait until Brucey settles, until then, I won't touch BlitzMax.

But, Henri,

Please do what I asked. After setting path for NG and the WinGW32 in its folder, "bmk  makemods -a database.com" returns blank and its folder in mod directory shows no library files, the '*.a' ones. Built and rebuild in the IDE's menu doesn't do it either.

Henri

I have no trouble building modules.

Two things:

1. Brucey's modules must be in mod\bah.mod folder, so if you want to build database.mod then the command would be 'bmk makemods -a bah.database'
2. Newest modules are in https://github.com/maxmods

-Henri
- Got 01100011 problems, but the bit ain't 00000001

Henri

TT,

I tried your example and it seemed to work in 32bit and 64bit. There might be issues with different MinGW versions.

-Henri

ms62

Henri,

Putting Brucey modules in Bah folder was the issue, it did work. I thought the build is like all other modules. Now, I have motivation to be busy with BlitzMax for a while.  :D Thanks.

TomToad

@Henri
Could be, I used TDM-GCC-64 ver 5.1.0.  Which version are you using?
Also could be that Brucey fixed the problem and hasn't closed the issue yet. Might have to give the latest version a try and see if it works.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Henri

I'm assuming it's the same.

-Henri

ms62

Ok, now I am getting somewhere, just for the record:

• Since openb3d works(I could load the models I want in NG), I am going to drop the dead xors3D, so, I can use NG rather than Brucey's old BlitMax installtion, the one with WinGW 4.7.1 and the older version of BlitzMax.
  • I can use NG, wxWidget, Sqlite for my small apps, like the League and football coaching software.
  • My war game doesn't need any module, I can use NG without any module - I found an issue, but, it will work.
  • I want to use Python for data science stuff, mostly limited to statistics. Hopefully, one day, I will learn how to make module and wrapper for NG and convert some codes to be used. Python can be used for games too, but Panda3D's learning curve is high. If NG becomes serious, it will be seriously considered by the industry. Of course, connection with the academy is crucial.

Let's see what will happen! I will be back in few months to this page.

ms62

After working a lot on the original BlitzMax yesterday, I found that irrlicht and xors3D and many other modules still work with original BlitzMax. The only one I couldn't make it work is wxWidget.

I put on hold all of my BlitzMax plans until I see a good website with active upgrades for NG.

RonTek

Quote from: ms62 on October 04, 2017, 14:22:26
I put on hold all of my BlitzMax plans until I see a good website with active upgrades for NG.

I might take you up on that one eventually, but not the latest and probably a different version. ;)

Of course, there's a reason why most of the NG activity is on github, I suggest posting your concerns or issues there.