Sprites

Started by Matty, September 25, 2017, 23:59:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

I've added 4 new sprites (Science Fiction) to my collection here:

http://www.mattiesgames.com/assets/

Qube

Nice cartoon style :) - Are they animated?
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Rooster

MichaelUK

Matty

More sprites added to fantasy section.

No they're not animated...that's beyond me at this stage.

Rooster

Cool. :)

I'll have to start adding some of these into Heroes of Dungonia sometime.

Matty

New sprites added: (fantasy)

MichaelUK

I really do like the style of these Matty please keep up the good work.

Matty

Derron

The problem I see with these sprites is: they only look that good because Matty downsized them that much - so your brain "fills in details".

Sprites with that small dimensions benefit from "exaggerated" proportions (big muscles, breasts, a wasp-waist etc). Also things like "eyes" might be done on a "pixel-style"-basis so they are recognizeable (if needed - and of course if existant at all :-)).

The "hand painted"-look is only visible when resized "not that small" - to check that out, compare to the other pictures/drawings Matty posted here (and before on blitzmax.com). I would like to see these drawings when done on a "vector basis" (drawn with digitizer and inkscape/illustrator) - this helps to have lines stay "clean" - or eg. make them "fatter" so they stay visible after resizing them to the size as in the posts above.

These lines are another thing which are needed for "consistency":

greenish/bright outline

no outline / or corresponding to surrounded area

some kind of "outline" on clothes, none on hands

The outlines could either be "black" in all cases, "non existent" in all cases, or a very dark variant of the surrounded area. So the "red shield" looks really dull because it is that bright - but could either benefit from a "shadow" behind (so it "pops out" from the figurine in the background) or it should have a darkish red-brown outline to make it not melting to the background.

PS: the two peasants are the ones I find best for now - they also fit "together" regarding color-scheme. But "contrast" between both is not consistent (another thing to consider when using them all together in the same game).

bye
Ron

Matty

Derron

Do you have the third ("barbarian" ?) as un-scaled-down-version? He scaled down pretty nicely.

First one misses details in the head portion (coz of scaling...)

Last one lacks a bit on "color variation" (clothes look as if they consist of 2 colors - brownish and green-brownish)

Which of them were "freely done" and which are "blueprinted" ?

bye
Ron

Matty

Yes I do have a higher res version.  When I'm at my pc next I'll upload a version without the background.

The images are drawn by hand using a reference and combining ideas from images.

Derron

Hmm, I prefer the scaled down one - as it looks as if it was "pixel-made".

The bigger/original one looks a bit "rushed" and as if it was done in a way to "hide" things. Eg. you drew outlines of the teeth - but your hands are hmm as if you are afraid of drawing fingers (because of doing it wrong or "incorrect").
Also it seems you are still not taking care of proportions (talking about his left arm -> hand)

It is good to see you trying to draw "perspectively" or with "depth" (persons not standing still but moving into the viewers direction).

@ Lighting
While the body contains some lighting-information (bright areas) the  "cloth"/leather-thing misses it. Especially on the upper-leg areas it would help creating a "perspective"-look - also it would emphasize that the cloth is laying _on_ the leg and not falling flat to the ground.

bye
Ron

chessish

Wow you are a great artist!
i almost like everything you have done