AGK 2017.09.25 released

Started by MikeHart, September 25, 2017, 13:19:28

Previous topic - Next topic

muruba

How do  they manage with 30$ per license is beyond my understanding, it's even worse than Monkey's $100 per license...

sphinx

I think add-ons, tools and other assets serve them here!
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

Rick Nasher

@Steve Elliott:
My opinion is it's a great system, and covers many devices, but it's also buggy and slow.

So great fun and easy to use, but not for producing commercial products.

Slow?   :o Hmm for me, on my old specced 7 yrs old system, it really beats the pants out of Blitz3d and Unity. Same on my Galaxy S7. I can have shadows+physics and still runs at a decent speed(not always accurately depicted in FPS in my opinion).

Buggy, err, yeah might be here and there, but:
A) so is Unity actually, crashed a lot on my system.
B) it's still very much a work in progress(evolves) and I think the 3d bits are pretty recently implemented in their current form. <-- Just got word!  8) They'll fix the issue and gave a temporary work around for the bug I found, see the update here:
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/220769#msg2611680
C) not unusable so far.

>Any examples or bits of code to try out were you've had issues?

Steve Elliott

The 2d seems fairly quick, but very simple 3d scenes only get around 50-60 FPS - they should be in the 100's I feel.  And 2d should be in the 1000's of FPS!  Maybe they're under using the CPU?  They talk about saving battery life quite often so suggest throttling back the CPU usage with the appropriate command - except I'm running on a desktop.  My own engine with a simple sprite runs around 4700 FPS.

Dark BASIC was never very fast compared to Blitz BASIC, and these are the same guys.  But to be fair they have come a long way since then - and the customer support was always better.

The (very simple) 3D-First Person demo that comes with AGK seems to run better on my pi 3 than my PC (only 52 FPS!)  That's why I also said in the past it seems aimed more at mobile devices than Desktop Systems.

It's a good system, that runs on, many systems.  But just not for me in the end.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

I'm not into 2D so wouldn't know. In 3D-tests with media, physics & shadows I'm getting only round 35FPS, but as long as it's not hindering the movement and isn't visually disturbing things then all fine by me.

I'm doubtful about the correctness of the displayed FPS figures actually, for normally I think I should have noticed drastic performance issues below 50 FPS, which I definitely did in B3D.

Of course my system is ancient and I've realized not actually 7years old: it's from 2007..  :-[

Steve Elliott

Fine.  But don't ignore all I said.  I only get 52 FPS with that very basic *3D* first person demo.

But as long as you're enjoying it, cool.  It's just you asked me why I left it alone.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

Don't get me wrong, not doubting your words. Just doubting AGK's inbuild FPS's display command, for on B3D I could not run anything when it dove below 50FPS for things would be crawling.

I don't fully understand how at 35FPS I can still keep adding things and FPS don't go below it.
Weird stuff.

Steve Elliott

macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

Yue

:o

I can not believe it, the game game of the remembered app that I have. Certain things that I have forgotten ...