@Qube - AGK bit broken?

Started by Rick Nasher, January 02, 2019, 14:33:45

Previous topic - Next topic

GaborD

They seem to be really good with reacting to bug reports. I saw your threads over there, hope it's sorted soon.

Qube

Quote from: GaborD on January 18, 2019, 21:00:32
They seem to be really good with reacting to bug reports. I saw your threads over there, hope it's sorted soon.
Yup, Paul updated the Mac version a few hours ago and the new commands have sorted my issue \o/ - Also the IDE whilst still not perfect works a lot better. It's still a bit blurry and slow but no longer a deal breaker. I think the IDE side is something that will fix itself with the updates done via the 3rd parties that make up Geany.

Overall though, very happy with the support from TGC and the AGK team.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Rick Nasher

QuoteOverall though, very happy with the support from TGC and the AGK team.
Indeed, they really do listen. Not to everything I guess, but if it's within their grasp they will certainly do it.

Also the IDE whilst still not perfect works a lot better. It's still a bit blurry and slow but no longer a deal breaker. I think the IDE side is something that will fix itself with the updates done via the 3rd parties that make up Geany.
You might be right.
Or.. is the blurriness tied to a new update regarding the screen resolution/dpi on MacOS?
I recall that Microsoft introduced something like that couple of years back, when they decided to go and support very large resolution screens, but that sort of messed up apps(and even their own stuff..  ;D) that didn't deal with that properly. Had a lot of angry customers calling for that!

[EDIT: just seen your comments about it pointing into MacOS direction.. ]

Dunno if related but found:
https://www.howtogeek.com/358596/how-to-fix-blurry-fonts-on-macos-mojave-with-subpixel-antialiasing/

and:
https://blog.macsales.com/46527-is-macos-mojave-making-some-fonts-blurry-heres-how-to-fix-it

Is it just the font or the entire GUI that's blurry?

Qube

@Rick Nasher - Thanks but those mostly apply to non retina displays. I did try them out just in case but nothing :P

Could be something with either Geany, GTK or Scintilla. Funny thing though is that if you download Geany and load up some source code it's both clear text and fast scrolling which then suggests it's something to how it's configured for AGK. Hard to tell as Paul's looked at it but has yet to pin down the issue.

Luckily the IDE is more useable than the last two versions so patience is key now :)
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Derron

Dunno how it is implemented but if they use Geany+Plugin then just place their plugins in your own Geany and use it there.

Else: Geany is GPL so any change will be "open source" - means you can freely build your own Geany with their changes.

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteDunno how it is implemented but if they use Geany+Plugin then just place their plugins in your own Geany and use it there.
It's more customised than that.

QuoteElse: Geany is GPL so any change will be "open source" - means you can freely build your own Geany with their changes.
Wouldn't have a clue on where to start and it's not something I'd want to learn :P

Until the next time.

Derron

They should provide you the "buildable source solution". Modified GPL code can only be kept closed if you use the tool internally ("inhouse").

But I understand that this is not of interest for you :-). They should have (maybe they even did try!) to write their stuff as "plugin" + language highlighter. But as far as I know Geany some stuff can only be implemented when directly extending the source code (especially extending "scintilla" to allow for stuff more advanced than simple syntax highlighting). So it would have needed some Pull Requests to make Geany "extendible" in that important areas.

BTW:
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/AGKIDE

Maybe you can build your own AGKIDE version from an earlier commit - and find out _when_ it got blurry.

bye
Ron

Qube

@Derron - If the situation gets dire then I'd just have to dive in a learn all the bits and pieces if needed. Might be easier to write my own Mac IDE? :P

Until the next time.

MikeHart

Qube

Until the next time.

blinkok

Quote@Derron - If the situation gets dire then I'd just have to dive in a learn all the bits and pieces if needed. Might be easier to write my own Mac IDE?
I know MadBit has written an editor
I don't think it runs on mac but i'm sure he'd be interested in any help porting it

Qube

Quote from: blinkok on January 20, 2019, 20:57:10
Quote@Derron - If the situation gets dire then I'd just have to dive in a learn all the bits and pieces if needed. Might be easier to write my own Mac IDE?
I know MadBit has written an editor
I don't think it runs on mac but i'm sure he'd be interested in any help porting it
Ah, I had forgotten about that 3rd party IDE. I see it looks like there is a Linux version in progress. I think I'll find a contact for him and see if a Mac port is possible :)

This afternoon I had a 15 minute blast with the default Geany app and managed to get it to compile AGK code. It looks like as a rough alternative I can use the latest Geany with the AGK compiler and I just need to sort out syntax highlighting and a few other things. My be worth spending a few hours getting a bog standard alternate IDE up and running. Still tempted to code my own IDE but not convinced myself it's going to be worth all the time and effort :P

Until the next time.