Languages & Coding > C++ / C#

DEVC++ and glut

(1/3) > >>

cpsmith0191:
As a beginner moving on from text based C++ I found GLUT easier to understand than opengl and a good place to start for ' learn ye 2d graphics'.
One slight problem, can't get past '#include <GL/glut.h>' as attempts to compile produce an error at this point.
I used the 'package manager' from 'tools' to install the glut7.6-3.devpak.
I'm running DEVC++5.10 under windows10 and c:\dec-cpp\include\GL\glut.h exists.
I've tried various solutions as described on the web, including ensuring that the correct files are linked under project/parameters/library.
Any ideas appreciated as I'm new to devc++ and feel tempted by the dark side (going back to visualC++), have fun cps.

RonTek:

--- Quote from: cpsmith0191 on September 21, 2017, 10:29:59 PM ---c:\dec-cpp\include\GL\glut.h exists.

--- End quote ---

Probably just some typo errors?
--- Code: --- c:\Dev-cpp\..?
--- End code ---

Is this your first time using MinGW and IDEs?

cpsmith0191:
Thanks for the input. This is my second install (after uninstalling the first) and is in C:\Dev-Cpp\ the first was in C:\programm files(x86).
I've written (tweaked examples) using windows application, console application and openGL and all compile under this installation and under the previous installation. I've double checked and I run C:\Dev-Cpp\devcpp.exe to start the IDE.
I am an absolute beginner in C++ my only previous experience being under VisualC with a dabble in objectiveC with cocoa (mac).
Is your reply a hint? is  '-' an illegal character in a file spec? long time since I had to think of this sort of thing, have fun cps

RonTek:

--- Quote from: cpsmith0191 on September 21, 2017, 11:19:26 PM ---Thanks for the input. This is my second install (after uninstalling the first) and is in C:\Dev-Cpp\ the first was in C:\programm files(x86).
I've written (tweaked examples) using windows application, console application and openGL and all compile under this installation and under the previous installation. I've double checked and I run C:\Dev-Cpp\devcpp.exe to start the IDE.
I am an absolute beginner in C++ my only previous experience being under VisualC with a dabble in objectiveC with cocoa (mac).
Is your reply a hint? is  '-' an illegal character in a file spec? long time since I had to think of this sort of thing, have fun cps

--- End quote ---

Sure thing and I see. I do suggest using CodeBlocks instead for IDE as I'm assuming that you will be relying on 3rd party libraries (SDL2, OpenAL, etc) eventually or probably sharing your work at some point and creating a build system for your projects. Most open source projects use CMake (or premake) for their build and I don't think there's enough support for Dev-Cpp as a dev environment.

Going back to your problem, I think this is just Dev-Cpp not seeing the include directories, same setup with Visual Studio.

RonTek:

--- Quote from: cpsmith0191 on September 21, 2017, 11:19:26 PM ---Is your reply a hint? is  '-' an illegal character in a file spec? long time since I had to think of this sort of thing, have fun cps

--- End quote ---

The '-' character is fine. Actually, I have Dev-Cpp MinGW64 version (OrwellDevCpp) installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\Dev-Cpp) as well and have used it on older projects, but haven't used it for a long time.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version