Blitz3D - what do you like, what not?

Started by Xaron, September 16, 2017, 09:37:06

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVIE G

Quote from: Qube on February 04, 2018, 19:31:08
QuoteSo you and Qube are using AGK - excellent - how do you find it in general and syntax wise?
Overall I really like it and it's put the fun back into coding. The language isn't to everyones tastes, especially if you are strictly an OO or die kinda coder. It doesn't have any zippy flippy language gymnastics features like Monkey 1 & 2 have but then again, I've never needed one of those funky methods to make a game.

I like that it has built in support for TexturePacker ( big time saver ) and the broadcast system for testing on mobile is a God send ( no need to faff about with certificates ), just broadcast and it's on your phone / tablet in a few seconds. It also has built in support for Spriter and Spine + tones of other stuff like 2D & 3D physics, tweening, networking, files, 2D & 3D particles. Plus the documentation is not too bad either. 

It can be a bit odd in places, for example there are two methods for drawing on screen. A percentage system and the X / Y coor system. If you want to use the X / Y system then you need to set the virtual resolution beforehand. No big deal, I just found it odd having two draw systems.

Lists are also a little harder to setup than in Blitz3D as in you create a type and then you create an array of the type and use that. Couple more lines of code but hey ho.

Good to know - ta.  Must get round to looking at this.

Steve Elliott

I think Qube summed it up quite nicely, and has used it far longer than I have.

I'll just add that using C++ and OOP languages for a while, it was a pleasant surprise to come to a simpler system that has put the fun back into coding.  I agree with Qube on that.

I do find it a little bit quirky at times, but that is always going to happen if a system has evolved over several years (and name changes).  And it's more wordy than I personally would like.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb