What do you like about BlitzMax

Started by Xaron, September 14, 2017, 20:11:23

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Ooohhh, sounds great  :) No Linux?
I'll be sure to be keep an eye open for what arrives :)
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Xaron

Well ya... Linux is kind of a double edged thing for me. I mean it would work technically the way we're doing it, it's just the question how many users out there would actually need it?

dawlane

Quoteit's just the question how many users out there would actually need it?
I would for one. Most people don't realize that Linux is better suited for cross platform than either Windows or OSX. All you have to do is see the MonkeyX and now Cerberus post for those that had issues every time with either of those operating systems for installation. I would say that the only real reason that developers still ignore Linux is that it's not dominant on desktops. Mark made that mistake twice first with BlitzMax and the failure to maintain Linux, and with Monkey adding Linux support as an after thought when some of us started rolling our own. With Monkey2 it's been there from the start and I know one or two in the forums there that use Linux as development system as they got sick of all the hassle with Windows 10 and OS X.

Derron

Only executing Windows in the VM for Solidworks, Photoshop and my tax software. All other things I use are executed either via wine (Warcraft 3 :-)) or are native applications for linux.

Post "troublesome" bug reports I get is from Linux-users. They have problems with pulseaudio not being installed - or vice versa have trouble with the alsa-variant. Also odd crashes there most often reported by linuxers - but at least with more verbose information than by windows users. Windows users most often already stumble over things like extracting a patch into a subdirectory of the game compared to the main directory - or they ignore "directories" at all. I wont be too harsh to them, but you see that they are less tech savvy.

Benefit of Linux users is also, they are "used to" have a bit alienated looking software (eg. FLTK GUIs ;-)) - just check the GUI-installer of the nvidia/amd-drivers (looks like motif/fltk too).

What I want to say with that: supporting Linux is important for at least me, an advantage for you (devs/users are often more tech savvy) but also a disadvantage for the language developer if not firm with Linux (the new environment - and of course the variety of distributions with their own ecology). Also I assume that you will find more people using Windows and "bleeding edge" hardware (but of course also the old office-computers) - dunno if this is an advantage of Windows.

PS: I like compilation times the most and afterwards the simple syntax.
[size=78%] [/size]

bye
Ron

Rooster

Quote from: Xaron on September 16, 2017, 09:38:00
it's just the question how many users out there would actually need it?
I think a better question is how many would want it.
There are people who would use Linux if there was more software/games for it.

Hardcoal

is blitzmax dying.. ? i see almost no new posts ..
what is the closest thing to blitzmax?
IS javamonkey worthy?
Code

Steve Elliott

Blitz max was abandoned by Mark - it's currently open source.  Brucey is currently producing his own version of it.

The closest thing being monkey 2...By the same guy that abandoned Blitz max   ::)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Hardcoal

Ok... But do people are abandoning blitzmax?
I sure hope brucey will make a dedicated website which im willing to pay my share to hold it alive.
If mark asked us to support blitzmax.com instead of silly donate im sure people would too..
Code

Steve Elliott

If people like Blitz max, they use Brucie's version Blitz max NG.

Last I heard it supports 64-bit and can even run on a Raspberry pi.

Mark is no longer interested in Blitz max, or indeed money (he never was).  He does what interests him, so throwing money at him doesn't work...The original version of Blitz max is dead.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

sphinx

I think (call me crazy!) Monkey 2 days are numbered too!
So do not waste your time and effort in it :(
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

Hardcoal

is blitzmax ng have 100% compatibility with blitzmax..?
I mean can i replace my blitzmax with blitzmax ng?

and besides having support for 64 bits.. what other major advantages does it have?

Code

sphinx

Quote from: Hardcoal on September 23, 2017, 02:57:58
is blitzmax ng have 100% compatibility with blitzmax..?
I mean can i replace my blitzmax with blitzmax ng?

and besides having support for 64 bits.. what other major advantages does it have?
If you use 'SuperStrict' in your projects then I think no problem at all of replacing your Vanilla edition or you will have to review your code and declare every and each variable you use!
Theoretically, NG should build for iOS, Android, HTML5 and RaspberryPi.
My tries weren't successful due to lack of experience with the SDK/NDK of these systems, so I still use BRL edition just to port for Mac OSX and Linux.
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

degac

BlitzMax is still used as it's working. So if you are interested in desktop target (Windows, MacOS and Linux) you are ok.
While if your interest is in mobile or web BMX-NG is a possible solution as it grants (with limits due to different interfaces - as touch) to port/compile your code. Of course a desktop application that uses OS-gadget (via MaxGUI) could not be ported.
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

Hardcoal

im using xors3d on blitzmax would it work also with blitzmax ng and would it compile into android?
if so.. its worth moving
Code

sphinx

Quote from: Hardcoal on September 23, 2017, 16:59:39
im using xors3d on blitzmax would it work also with blitzmax ng and would it compile into android?
if so.. its worth moving
It will work with NG on desktop but not on Android AFAIK!
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com