Anti Alias Enable - Not working?

Started by MagosDomina, September 14, 2017, 17:40:25

Previous topic - Next topic

MagosDomina

I am able to force on Antialiasing through my video card but the setting "AntiAlias enable" does nothing. The provided example in the Blitz docs also does not produce any AA effect either. I tested this on two different machines, both are capable of AA. So what gives? :(

Steve Elliott

I didn't think AA ever worked in Blitz3d.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MagosDomina

According to my research that seems to be the case 50% of the time. It works on certain machines and not others.

Xaron

Actually I'm pretty amazed that there are still people who use BB3D. Don't get me wrong, I love it, it was a fantastic tool but the problems that slowly come up with modern Windows versions would scare me to invest time using it.

MagosDomina

Content wise I've hit about 1159 files which in total are 3gb worth of the data created for my project. I'm not so far along code wise that switching to something newer isn't an option, I just need to take the time to retrain myself on with a newer language. Blitz is still great for fast prototyping and works on a wide range of machines, even if the occasional issue arises.

Problems with Windows? The problems are actually features designed by Microsoft. XD  But I understand what you're saying. LOL!

RonTek

Quote from: MagosDomina on September 14, 2017, 17:40:25
I am able to force on Antialiasing through my video card but the setting "AntiAlias enable" does nothing. The provided example in the Blitz docs also does not produce any AA effect either. I tested this on two different machines, both are capable of AA. So what gives? :(

Utilizing the gfx card feature is the best way to go overall (quality + performance). I have tried it with most B3D games and it looks better.

ms62

People use it because the language is very easy and straight forward and they cannot find one with 3D capability. I don't know if anybody really use it for selling software.

LineOf7s

Quote from: ms62 on September 30, 2017, 00:17:55
People use it because the language is very easy and straight forward and they cannot find one with 3D capability. I don't know if anybody really use it for selling software.

https://stevieg.itch.io/polymaniacs

Proudly made in vanilla Blitz3D.

(not by me, to be clear.  I did buy it, though)
"Life's biggest obstacles are your greatest opportunities to excel"

Coder Apprentice

I think the best to call all video card features and settings such as antialiasing level, mip map and filtering methods through the settings of the card itself outside of your Blitz3D application. Obviously Blitz3D does not support most current features, and the old ones it supports might not work properly. For that reason I would not mix supposedly working features with card settings. Just let the users know that for all "extra" video card specific visuals they have to go to the control panel of their video cards. They might not have full access to all features with certain GPUs and settings but nor you do via Blitz3D and the ones they can control work properly. Just my 2 cents. 

MagosDomina

Polymaniacs looks like a really great game. I will be buying this shortly! Love the oldschool 3d graphics.

@Kris
I agree that at this point AA is better handled by the 3d card directly. To help with scaling my game on less powerful (or more powerful machines) I wrote 4 different ways for the games internal timing and frame rate to behave. Normally they are selected based upon what kind of display you are using. For anyone still using a CRT I added as many as enhancements as I could.  8)

One addition I would like to add is a simulated 320x240 scaled resolution. But I fear it would make every menu in my game unreadable. Probably useless to add except for my own enjoyment.

Steve Elliott

Polymaniacs looks like a really great game. I will be buying this shortly! Love the oldschool 3d graphics.

Totally agree.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb