Why do you want to go cross platform?

Started by MikeHart, September 13, 2017, 09:21:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Xaron

Some words from my side. I made 9 games so far, all for Android and iOS so cross platform is a big thing for me. I never did a desktop game even though I will do at some point.

The mobile markets are very, very saturated but I think that's true for PC as well, but the audience is indeed different. Mobile gamers tend to be those kind of people who look for time killers while waiting for the bus and that stuff, so games they can play for 5 minutes.

Interestingly my most successful game was my 3d submarine simulator for mobiles. It's pretty expensive ($7.99) and just an upfront paid game with no ads and no in app buy stuff. This game alone made quite a nice 5 figures sum so far starting in December 2016.

So I think it doesn't matter what platform you go for, you just need a good working niche. Making the next match-3 for mobiles would be wasted time, I mean you can do it when you just do it because you like creating one but don't do it because you expect to earn some money. You will be lucky if you get a few hundred downloads at all even for a free game!

Personally I think the casual market is more than saturated. When you don't have any marketing budget, forget it.

therevills

For desktop cross platform is vital for me, BlitzMax does it so well for Windows and MacOSX.

IanMartin

I think I would like to be (more) cross platform because I'm quite jealous of people who can make a game once, and put it on everything from Android to Nintendo Switch from the same code base.  Right now I can make things for Windows on BlitzMax, and one of the common comments you get is "Is there an Android version?"  No, I don't think people pay on Android/iOS, except for niche titles like a sub simulator, but IAP makes a killing (in the millions) for some games and smaller games can do very well with ads.  Flappy Bird is a good example of a very simple, not very good game that nevertheless made bajillions from the ads. 

I think it's also more cost effective as far as time cost.  I can't very well call this a living if it takes me 4 years to make a product I can sell on one platform (Steam).  I could make a visual novel or something in Unity or whatever and spit it out onto 12 different platforms and (probably) make a tidy living. 

BlitzMax is still the double aces in the hand though when it comes to the desktop platform...except for the things I posted about in another post...which no one answered...lol  I'm having a really hard time finding a good cross platform solution.  My main targets, at least at first, would be PC, Android, and HTML5.  I have game ideas that target specific platforms and would be best on those platforms, and also some ideas that would work great on all three.  It would be nice to finally solve this problem...for a few years at least.  I thought I was finally getting good at BlitzMax...and now it's time to find something else...smh  :-\

Platfinity (made with BlitzMax) on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365440/Platfinity/

Xaron

Ian, I think AGK sounds like a good alternative. You can check out Monkey 2 as well (no joke). It's in a pretty good shape and quite a modern language.

But don't overestimate mobile markets. No matter if full paid, ads or iap, you still need a niche. It's not a money making machine. The times where you made thousands of bucks with a simple fart app are over. I started 2012 with mobile games and the markets already were saturated at that time but nowadays... oh boy... it's almost impossible to get even some downloads with a completely free game!

IanMartin

I have AGK and I opened it up an had a look.  I'm not sure where to start with it.  It seems like it takes a bit more setting up?  BlitzMax worked right out of the box...one thing I really liked about it.  Is AGK still $79 per game shipped or something?  I had heard that somewhere.

Monkey2 is looking a bit better with the latest release...the controller is working, for instance, heheh.  I still don't think it's ready to go right now, which it really has to be for me to switch to anything.  It looks like at least some of it is built on SDL?  I'm thinking about maybe just using SDL or something like Haxe...

Yeah, if I do anything on mobile, it will be something different or something very, very simple.  The advantage there is something like Flappy Bird I can make in a weekend.  So I wouldn't be spending as much time on it.  I know a few people who have done very well with ads.  So I think I know some ad supported stuff that would work and some IAP stuff that would work.  But who knows?  I don't have a huge expectation on mobile.  If I made $5 a day with an ad game I would consider that success, heheh

RonTek

Quote from: IanMartin on September 14, 2017, 18:44:47
BlitzMax is still the double aces in the hand though when it comes to the desktop platform...except for the things I posted about in another post...which no one answered...lol  I'm having a really hard time finding a good cross platform solution.  My main targets, at least at first, would be PC, Android, and HTML5.  I have game ideas that target specific platforms and would be best on those platforms, and also some ideas that would work great on all three.  It would be nice to finally solve this problem...for a few years at least.  I thought I was finally getting good at BlitzMax...and now it's time to find something else...smh  :-\

You can also try Monkey-X/Cerberus-X for those platforms with 2D. I made the transition from BlitzMax, but still do some BMX code from time to time.

RonTek

Quote from: Xaron on September 14, 2017, 19:58:46
You can check out Monkey 2 as well (no joke). It's in a pretty good shape and quite a modern language.

Yes, I think Monkey2 seems to be shaping up, though Mojo3D is still broken on android.

I guess it depends on what you need and so better try them all and see if it works well for your game.

IanMartin

Monkey X was a step back for me on Desktop.  No Incbin and write your own collision were deal breakers.  Especially the collision.  I had scale and rotate pixel perfect collision with BlitzMax and with Monkey people are saying to use boxes or circles?!

It seems like Monkey was nerfed on Desktop so it would also work on Flash, Html, and Android instead of just using compiler switches like
?Windows - do mouse & joystick
?Android - multitouch
?Flash - complain Flash is dead yet find all over web

It seemed like it tried to be too generic and didn't do as well as BlitzMax did on Desktop.  *shrugs*

I want BlitzMax 5 Procedural Edition same code runs everywhere even Nintendo Switch and Leapfrog Ultra Zero OOP Edition Perfect Mode.  I think I should go lie down, I think I have a migraine.  heh

RonTek

Quote from: IanMartin on September 15, 2017, 01:51:09
It seemed like it tried to be too generic and didn't do as well as BlitzMax did on Desktop.  *shrugs*

For me this became problematic at first, but as I got to play around with the integration stuff, it is actually one of the better features that makes it easy to add new features which is obviously platform specific.

With Blitzmax, the cross platform nature only covers desktops so you're just basically dealing mostly C/C++ stuff with those brl or custom mods internally.

meems

interesting thread, made me register to reply :)

I thought I had to go cross platform to get more sales for every program I write. The most valuable cross-platforms are, I think, HTML5 & Flash. If I'm an example, then the average punter is lazier today than 10 years ago. Its easiest to click and play in your browser rather than download , install and play.
But what's the reality wrt sales? This thread suggests cross-platform isn't a big improvement. If so I don't have to adhere to languages with the broadest cross-platform. This is a big factor for me, because I'm adverse to OO in my hobby programming, its too much hard work.
What do people think to modern basics, such as freeBasic, thinBasic and glBasic? The latter is very cross platform but seems too simple for my liking. The other 2 though I'd dismissed cos no HTML5. But if your saying its not that important, then I'd seriously consider them : a basic with an up-to-date graphics library is great.

IanMartin

Ha!  meems is like me.  I'm glad I''m not the only one who thinks OOP is overkill most of the time!

"Its easiest to click and play in your browser rather than download , install and play."
I find this is especially true for game jams like Ludum Dare.  Good luck placing well there with a game you have to download first.  I made a couple of games for game jams in BlitzMax, and would have really liked to make them play on the web so more people would try them.