PureBasic anyone?

Started by MikeHart, September 11, 2017, 11:11:30

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeHart

Since last week I am working on a tool in Purebasic. Anyone using PB too here?

sphinx

I have a license long time ago but used it a little!
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

MikeHart

Right now it is my main dev tool. Writing an IDE with it. The buildin scintilla gadget it a gods giving imho. I need to get used to it but slowly i can make it work the way i want it to.

Steve Elliott

Yes I've used it, better for development tools than games I think.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MikeHart

Quote from: Steve Elliott on September 11, 2017, 13:11:10
Yes I've used it, better for development tools than games I think.

I will use it exclusively to create tools. For games there are plenty alternatives that I am more comfortable with.

Pakz

I got interested in their other product a while ago. Spiderbasic. 

Now that paypal is usable for me I can now actually buy things like this. Back then when I wanted to use purebasic buying online was a lot harder.

sphinx

Quote from: MikeHart on September 11, 2017, 12:48:58
Right now it is my main dev tool. Writing an IDE with it. The buildin scintilla gadget it a gods giving imho. I need to get used to it but slowly i can make it work the way i want it to.

Are you making an IDE for Cerberus X?
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

MikeHart

Not at the moment. Mollusk does the job just fine.

dawlane

Yes I have PB, the only thing that puts me from using it full time is that it's procedural and I find it cumbersome to do GUI without oop.

Off topic
In all the years that I frequented the Blitz web site. I cannot recall if there ever was a BltzMax vs PureBasic discussion. Of course it would have ended in the usual pandemonium of people back biting, thread locked and bans. But obviously now we know ultimately who the winner would be.

sphinx

Quote from: dawlane on September 12, 2017, 11:23:53
Off topic
In all the years that I frequented the Blitz web site. I cannot recall if there ever was a BltzMax vs PureBasic discussion. Of course it would have ended in the usual pandemonium of people back biting, thread locked and bans. But obviously now we know ultimately who the winner would be.

WHO?!  ;D
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

Rooster

Quote from: sphinx on September 12, 2017, 12:40:10
Quote from: dawlane on September 12, 2017, 11:23:53
Off topic

WHO?!  ;D
Hey, lets not tempt fate here. :P

MikeHart

Man, coding everything by hand is dreadfull when you create a gui related app. I miss the times in Delphi. You design the gui, you code the functionality behind it. Much faster development process.

Adding to that, PureBasic has some quirks. The build-in splittergadget is imho unusable as everything flickers like a camp fire when you move it and the content resizes.
You are bascially forced to create your own splitter thingy and scale things by hand. That is what the creator of PureBasic's own IDE did, go figure.
If you use the PB WebGadget, it has redrawing issues when attached to a splitter. It "disappears" sometimes. Eewwww!  :-\

Grrr. These days I want things to work out of the box. I want to design. Not deal with half finished implementation.  ;D But I will get there, eventually  8)

dawlane

Well look on the bright-side. At least the author still does reasonably regular updates, but there are still some bugs in it that haven't been address from the beginning.

Yes I also miss the days of Delphi and CBuilder. The closest that you can get to Delphi that's almost cross-platform is the Lazarus IDE project, but that has it's problems with the two biggest being OS X and web components.

MikeHart

Quote from: dawlane on September 13, 2017, 08:23:05
Well look on the bright-side. At least the author still does reasonably regular updates, but there are still some bugs in it that haven't been address from the beginning.

Yes I also miss the days of Delphi and CBuilder. The closest that you can get to Delphi that's almost cross-platform is the Lazarus IDE project, but that has it's problems with the two biggest being OS X and web components.

yes, you are right. That is why I decided to use PB instead of Lazarus. But I didn't know about the webgadget and splitter issue. I guess these days I have less patience then back then. Maybe I should give up coding all together  :D

Steve Elliott

lol coding can be very frustrating.  But it can also be very rewarding and enjoyable to have your creation come to life.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb