Creating a retro 32bit simulation/adventure hybrid.

Started by MagosDomina, September 08, 2017, 16:04:51

Previous topic - Next topic

MagosDomina

I am working on a hybrid flight sim/adventure style game and would like some feedback. I draw my inspirations from early 90's Ms-dos flight simulators, mech games and space combat games with my use of primitive 3d techniques. Right now I am experimenting with a style that uses no textures, only colored polygons with each color being one of a possible 10 different colors/shades. Eventually I will work on a low resolution texture pack so that I can compare which style I like better. The red speeder bike shown here handles like the Thunderbolt in Battlezone 2 when in battle mode. When in flight mode it can move at a much greater speed and altitude but it sacrifices maneuverability. Details regarding the story and various game play elements will be released as they are developed.

You may view my website here: http://magosdomina.com/index.html

More of my vehicle designs may be seen here: https://magosdomina.deviantart.com/

Steve Elliott

I'm a fan of untextured polygon graphics - looks good.

You might want to consider a higher resolution or anti aliasing though.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MagosDomina

For testing purposes I never have AA on since I had some nasty performance related issues when I first started this. Personally I prefer the hard pixels but I would think most gamers today like a ultra smooth and clean look to retro polys. :)

I really do not care for how the lighting looks and will be attempting to emulate gourand shading in my next build.

MikeHart

Qube

I like the styling. It reminds me of the Elite II : Frontier graphical style.

Can I ask ( I'm stupid ) but in the forth screen shot you seem to have a wind farm on a space station / space port?

Bring on the demo :D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

MagosDomina

Ahhh Elite.... *Warm fuzzy feeling intensifies*  ;D

My game takes place around a thousand years in the future, so clean energy is everywhere? Yeah hats my excuse or simply I like the look of Wind towers? LOL!

Qube

QuoteMy game takes place around a thousand years in the future, so clean energy is everywhere? Yeah hats my excuse or simply I like the look of Wind towers? LOL!
Wind towers.. In space? :P

Ooh, perhaps solar wind towers? :D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Rick Nasher

Interestingly I normally do not like the retro style, but this has a nice cartoon like feel. Kinda reminds me of FlashBack/Another World on the Amiga. I immediately got a feeling "I wanna play this" which is rare for me.

I feel a bit of shadow here and there would really boost it even more.
As Qube said bring on the demo, or perhaps a video first?

MagosDomina

Thanks Rick! My next update will have shadows and a more focused style. As well as all of the new building and vehicle assets put into the game.