Blitz 3d Users?

Started by MagosDomina, September 08, 2017, 15:55:47

Previous topic - Next topic

MagosDomina

I managed to join Yue's temporary forum awhile back before the Bltiz3d purge. But its down now, with my search for Blitz related material and users leading me finally to here. Thankfully several users were able to get a complete backup of the Blitz forums and code archives, I was working on my own backup but another already beat me to it. I've worked on many game prototypes over the years and have always found the Blitz community to be extremely friendly and helpful. So who else is still around? :)

Blitz3d Forums (Mirror)
http://wasted.nz/

Naughty Alien

..i guess as many as could escape 'event horizon'..hehe..many folks lurking this murky waters here..

MagosDomina

I tried contacting Mark directly to pay for server expenses but he never responded. I understand his reasoning behind closing the community but the shutdown really felt like I was losing a long time friend.

Steve Elliott

Don't worry, there's quite a few from the Blitz site here.

Although some lurk more than post  ;D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

Self confessed more of a 'lurker' these days- I like to contribute now and then though ;)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Xaron

Quote from: MagosDomina on September 08, 2017, 16:12:27
I tried contacting Mark directly to pay for server expenses but he never responded. I understand his reasoning behind closing the community but the shutdown really felt like I was losing a long time friend.

That money "argument" was just an excuse if you ask me.

Steve Elliott

The phrase, throw the baby out with the bath water, springs to mind!  ::)
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

Mark - 'the Blitz slaughter'.. ;D

Blitz Baby, Yeah!

Still a couple of people seem to have just, quote: 'vanished', or perhaps lost, their.. 'mojo' ?

Perhaps Dr. Evil (Mark) took it from them to enhance his own monkey-mojo..   XD
Some names that come to mind:
Flanker
RustiKristi
RemiD
bobysait
Angros

Or perhaps I just didn't see them..

NRJ

Some names that come to mind:
Flanker
RustiKristi
RemiD
bobysait
Angros

All of those are very experienced and Old users of blitz, I  am missing all of them on syntaxbomb.  :(
IF YOU CAN DREAM IT,  YOU CAN DO IT...

http://www.nksoftgames.blogspot.com

Rick Nasher

Perhaps they took the plunge and moved over to Monkey2(haven't checked/been there for a while) or ditched the BRL scene altogether after Mark pulled the plug.

eNano

I totally agree with you MagosDomina
I'll always be thankful with that incredible and extinguished community. Blitz3D is amazing for fast and simple coding for amateurs like me, and I've practically learned to code 3d tools just following the posts and sources of those forums. Is a great lost and waste of useful information

bobysait

Maybe some of those people have never heard about this site (just like I only found it via a random "blitz" search on google)

As far as I'm concerned, I've left the blitz scene a long time ago. I managed to finish a 3D engine for blitzmax, but the forum is down now, so ... I won't spend more time on it and support so, it's archived on my hard drive. Some day, I'll probably publish it on github ... some day... (I didn't think about it because there was no comunity any more)
Blitz3d/blitzmax was only a fun tool for me, and I've never really been interested by the monkey stuff.
In fine, I went back to the bones of the web : html5/javascript/php/etc... (not really exiting but ... we have to live and pay the bills ^^)

By the way, I'm actually on the very end of a portage of the engine for webgl (100% javascript - always with a blitz3d/blitzmax-like syntax)
But this time, it will be an open-source project.
I don't give any date, I don't give any promises I won't be able to fit due to recent major changes in my life (I move from where I live to 850 km in the end of october - I managed to to loose 25 Kg in 3 monthes - I changed my job ... and there's tons of tasks that take more time than 24/7 ... Maybe I'll experience phantom pregnancy in few monthes :D)

ps : Rick Nasher, Steve Elliott, glad to see you again

Steve Elliott

Welcome bobysait.  People seem to stumble upon this site from the old community.  A slow regeneration of that old community - all-be-it in a multi language site.

Good luck with your future project.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

Hey-hey, bobysait is on board too of our little lifeboat overhere. Or actually it turned into a nice fancy cruiseship by now.
So I should say Loveboat. ;-) 

Great to hear from you man, you'll get a free drink at the bar.  8)

MagosDomina

I'm happy to see so many names I recognize returning. :)