Hello Irma

Started by ThickO, September 05, 2017, 21:49:38

Previous topic - Next topic

ThickO

Well hurricane Harvey missed me, but Irma might take me out though...LOL.... :o
3D makes my head hurt...

Rooster

My dad just got back from working on the Harvey aftermath, he said this one is supposed to be bigger. :o
Stay safe.

TomToad

Looks like the eye will be over me on Monday morning.  Good news is, slower movement over land will mean it will lose most of its punch by the time it gets here.  Bad news is, it will still be a bad storm regardless.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Steve Elliott

Stay safe people...And don't do what some do - go outside and try and film it on their mobile phones  ::)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MikeHart

Sorry Tom, good luck!

MikeHart

Quote from: Steve Elliott on September 08, 2017, 12:08:59
Stay safe people...And don't do what some do - go outside and try and film it on their mobile phones  ::)

Or go out and loose your life while surfing.  :o

Rooster

Quote from: MikeHart on September 08, 2017, 12:10:06

Wait, did someone do that? :o

Steve Elliott

You see it a lot on certain shows/Youtube.  There's a muppet filming a tsunami, then is totally engulfed!
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

ThickO

Quote from: TomToad on September 08, 2017, 12:07:04
Looks like the eye will be over me on Monday morning.  Good news is, slower movement over land will mean it will lose most of its punch by the time it gets here.  Bad news is, it will still be a bad storm regardless.
The eye will be over me on Sunday and I do plan on doing videos. I have gopros that I plan on turning on wireless in a waterproof case, that gives the the option of using them like webcams on my phone to see whats going on outside. Might do a time lapse one also.
3D makes my head hurt...

MikeHart

Quote from: Rooster on September 08, 2017, 19:22:56
Quote from: MikeHart on September 08, 2017, 12:10:06

Wait, did someone do that? :o

Yes, a 16yr old Professional surfer did that.

TomToad

Quote from: ThickO on September 09, 2017, 14:05:08

The eye will be over me on Sunday and I do plan on doing videos. I have gopros that I plan on turning on wireless in a waterproof case, that gives the the option of using them like webcams on my phone to see whats going on outside. Might do a time lapse one also.
I thought about doing that.  Problem is, I have an older GoPro and the battery will only last about 2 hours. If I hook it up to an external power source, I would have to remove the waterproof case.

BTW, the eye will not be going over me anymore.  The path has shifted to the west.  Not a good thing as it will allow the storm to maintain strength longer and will place the Northeast section (the part with the strongest winds, excepting the eyewall) over me. The state is already preparing for statewide power loss.  Already saying this storm will be worse than Andrew (but then again, they say that about a lot of the storms, usual media sensationalism.  unfortunately, might be true this time).

TomToad

Managed to prepare everything I need except fuel for my camping stove.  Seems all the stores stocked up on propane tanks for backyard grills, but not propane cylinders for camping stoves.  Even the sports stores are sold out.  I guess I'll be resorting to something like this: https://wawanghunting.com/2016/02/29/how-to-make-a-quick-can-stove-2/

ThickO

Quote from: TomToad on September 09, 2017, 15:38:01
Managed to prepare everything I need except fuel for my camping stove.  Seems all the stores stocked up on propane tanks for backyard grills, but not propane cylinders for camping stoves.  Even the sports stores are sold out.  I guess I'll be resorting to something like this: https://wawanghunting.com/2016/02/29/how-to-make-a-quick-can-stove-2/

I live in the west coast , Charlotte county actually.
Storms are strange you don't want to get hit but
you don't want anyone else to suffer either. One thing is
certain though if Irma moves into the Gulf SOMEONE is going
to get it.
3D makes my head hurt...

Rick Nasher

In '98 I was at the isle of Sint Maarten in the Caribbean, 3 years after a hurricane class 4 hit them and it was still showing damages.

Some of my ex-family in law still reside there. Now after this class 5+ hit the island, which is a tourist cruise ship paradise destination,

it has been completely devastated, so even if worn down to 4, be ware. :o

Looks more like as if been hit by tornados.
Wish you all the best and hang in there.

ThickO

Looks like the eye will be passing over my house, this will be he second time in my life that has happened.  :o
Maybe I should look for a cooler climate to move to.
3D makes my head hurt...