iPhone X - Must buy one immediately!

Started by Qube, September 13, 2017, 02:07:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

NOT! - So now, for £999 I can have a phone that looks at my face and translates me smiling into a smiling poo emoji. Genius, pure genius. I've always needed such a feature and it will enhance my daily life immeasurably.

I bet the wonderful glass backing isn't great after a drop or two either.

If the camera is a huge huge improvement ( especially video in low light ) then it may peak my interest. As crazy as I am, £1000 for a phone is just super silly.

I have a feeling that I'll be using my iPhone 6+ for at least another year.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Rooster

Quote from: Qube on September 13, 2017, 02:07:27
So now, for £999 I can have a phone that looks at my face and translates me smiling into a smiling poo emoji.
As much as people hate auto-correct you would have though they would know better.
Or fixed auto-correct, because that would make sense too.

sphinx

Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

Qube

QuoteAs much as people hate auto-correct you would have though they would know better.
It's true, an actual new feature of the iPhone X is to enable it to look at your face and apply your smile / frown to an emoji. Yup, you can now make the poo emoji have a sad face, frown, smile etc. The possibilities are truly amazing ::)

QuoteOr fixed auto-correct, because that would make sense too.
Auto correct should be against the law. It just further dumbs down people learning how to spel propurly.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Rooster

Quote from: Qube on September 13, 2017, 04:44:23
QuoteOr fixed auto-correct, because that would make sense too.
Auto correct should be against the law. It just further dumbs down people learning how to spel propurly.
Lol. :P
I can't spell very well, so gilty as charged.

MikeHart

As much as i love the design of Apple stuff and their os, things are getting to expensive. In general. Not only Apple. I will pass. I got a Samsung A5 2017 3 months ago. While it was a nice device, after getting Android 7 two weeks ago, i have constant outtakes regarding internet. Hate it. Could throw it against the wall.

dawlane

Only die hard Apple fan-boys with more money than sense will be fighting each other to be the first to own one. As for me, I never could understand the need for a communicator-come computer rolled into one. Hell even Star-Trek has never had one of those.

Every time I see someone in the street using a Smart-Phone while not paying attention, I always get this impression.

Steve Elliott

iPhone X
Our vision has always been to create an iPhone that is entirely screen.

Vision?  As in looking at Samsung S8 Adverts?  They've had an Infinity Display for a while now.   ::)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MikeHart

Quote from: Steve Elliott on September 13, 2017, 08:33:09
iPhone X
Our vision has always been to create an iPhone that is entirely screen.

Vision?  As in looking at Samsung S8 Adverts?  They've had an Infinity Display for a while now.   ::)

I don't think he ment to create the first phone with an entirely screen. But the new features these days (Apple, Samsung, etc.)... I say meeh. Even Android phones. It is to much. Good camera build in, sure. Face emojis, never never never! I want good calling quality, a good camera and fast web experience. I actually enjoy fogetting my phone at home. Honestly being reachable all the time kinda stresses me out. But with a family and kids, you need to be reachable.

Adding to that, these devices are to flimsy for everyday use. Drop it and there is a chance to have it damaged. Now glass on both sides, why? You need a shock protecting case covering it anyway.

What I find funny is how people say that Apple is sooo expensive. Yes it is, but so is Samsung, so is Google. 800 Euro and up is not cheap. 800, 900, 1000, where is the difference. They are overly expensive and imho overpriced. Why, because there is a market.

The other day I was looking at the re-released nokia 3310. Had one back in 1999. I think it will be my next phone. Simple call and SMS.

muruba

Yeah, I was actually using dumb-phones until a few years back (having my ipad with me I didn't really need one). Unfortunately the quality of these cheap (50-100$) phones (Nokias and Samsung) is complete crap. I mean my last Nokia I bought for 50$ lasted a week and I didn't drop it or anything like that. Samsung flip lasted longer but still... Alcatel the same. The quality is absolutely horrendous.

degac

Probably there will be a  'next' iPhone Z: it will be just a piece of quartz without any other electronic functions: no calls, no SMS, no internet. Nothing. Just a piece of stone with the Apple logo carved on in. The 'new feature' (by Apple of course) is the 'freedom of the modern era'.

Excluding the FaceID/appmojoi (I think they are the most unuseful thing I've ever seen!) the A11 and the Augmented Reality thing could be very interesting in terms of API, software and market - and we know Apple is very very good on this point.
It seems (maybe only to me) that VR is at a dead point, GoogleGlasses in re-thinking phase, while Apple has a better and clear vision of the things (its vision of course).
Personally I think AR is more interesting than VR (Oculus & co): it can be immediately understand by anyone (just think to see an IKEA couch on your room, a dress on your body, instructions about repair or open a thing): much better than a guy wearing an helmet moving like a mental hill...

If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

Naughty Alien

..after i finally ditched 'smartphone' and got myself one old superstupid PHONE which can use classic MMS and SMS and nothing else, i feel better, no unnecessary claptrap trough whatsapp as its free...it feels good...

col

Haha,

Apple are just at it again... promoting pointlessness to their followers then holding out their hands as people rush to give them millions of dollars. I've never bought an Apple product and I don't see me doing so in the near future. I can live quite comfortably without the need to have the latest and greatest. I only have a phone to make calls and texts, occasionally I'll browse the internet using it while on the loo, but that's about it nowadays. Each to their own I suppose.

Off topic...
I'm with degac on the idea that AR will be the next big band-wagon once the VR dust has settled. AR is just so easily accessible by comparison. I remember being in the cable cars in Sentosa, Singapore, and they used AR in the there. You would download the AR app to your phone, then use it to look outside over the city where you'd see a ton of superhero characters flying around outside. Pretty cool light entertainment for a cable car ride. A simple youtube search for 'augmented reality demo' will bring up plenty of examples too.

There are of course more practical sides to AR tech as degac notes and I can see more uses for AR which will help keep it around for a lot longer than VR.

https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

RobFarley

I think you're being a bit harsh, yeah it's  expensive and yeah the features may be 'pointless' but the tech is pretty awesome, the dual camera giving a stereoscopic view is massively impressive and should open up actually useful features like gestures at your phone etc. So as with all new features they take a while to mature and early adopters pay the price.

So my position is largely I cannot justify the price of any apple device, that said, I've got a £1000 drone in my cupboard that I've flown about 10 times because I don't have the free time to fly it... So... Meh... If people want to spend the money on a phone then let them, only be concerned if they owe you money!
Cheers, Rob

ThickO

Quote from: RobFarley on September 14, 2017, 10:49:54
I've got a £1000 drone in my cupboard that I've flown about 10 times because I don't have the free time to fly it... So... Meh...

Im glad im not the only one that has a drone gathering dust.
3D makes my head hurt...