AGK vs Monkey?!

Started by bmcalex, September 03, 2017, 16:41:41

Previous topic - Next topic

RonTek

Quote from: MikeHart on September 11, 2017, 11:10:23
Rontek: Look inside the mojo3d module folder. The bananas/examples are there. At least the last time I checked which was a while ago.

Thanks Mike, found it. It should be under bananas, but for some reason it was labelled tests and in modules folder. I will do more benchmark tests as I'm curious how this would work on android build.

sphinx

Monkey is great as a language but I hated the name!
AGK is good and very easy to deploy with it.

Monkey 2, why should I bother when I have Monkey/CerberusX?!

I am asking the above question and willing for a good answer!
Really, I need someone to enlighten me because I do not see features that make me interested or am I wrong?!
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

Naughty Alien

QuoteI am asking the above question and willing for a good answer!
Really, I need someone to enlighten me because I do not see features that make me interested or am I wrong?!

..because Mark is genius and he will do some awesome stuff and we will have something so powerful and it will be futureproof and its very exciting..and bla bla blahhh...

..in main time, somewhere in other unvierse, people playing in their room with  Unity, Unreal, Crytek, Godot, Xenko, Urho3d, b4x, Playcanvas, BabylonJS, Atomic Game Engine, WEBGL Studio, AGK,...........C#,C++...

sphinx

Quote from: Naughty Alien on September 11, 2017, 13:27:08

..because Mark is genius and he will do some awesome stuff and we will have something so powerful and it will be futureproof and its very exciting..and bla bla blahhh...

..in main time, somewhere in other unvierse, people playing in their room with  Unity, Unreal, Crytek, Godot, Xenko, Urho3d, b4x, Playcanvas, BabylonJS, Atomic Game Engine, WEBGL Studio, AGK,...........C#,C++...

Mark is really a genius person but he made/makes bad decisions (methink)!

I am sorry to say it but Mark (and don't get me wrong he is a decent guy) reminds me of Paul Turley, the author of IBasic, IBasic Pro, IWBasic, CBasic...etc
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

MikeHart

Quote from: sphinx on September 11, 2017, 17:45:43
Quote from: Naughty Alien on September 11, 2017, 13:27:08

Mark is really a genius person but he made/makes bad decisions (methink)!

I am sorry to say it but Mark (and don't get me wrong he is a decent guy) reminds me of Paul Turley, the author of IBasic, IBasic Pro, IWBasic, CBasic...etc

Hey @sphinx, I don't remember your nickname from the ibasic/ibasic Pro board. So you were around there back then?
Why does he remind you of good ol' P.T.?

sphinx

I was comparing different dialect of BASIC back then, reading from here and there, following different forums (I do not remember if I signed up for P.T forums or not).

Long story short, I read in different places not so good things about him, though he is talented guy.
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

MikeHart

Quote from: sphinx on September 11, 2017, 18:28:59
I was comparing different dialect of BASIC back then, reading from here and there, following different forums (I do not remember if I signed up for P.T forums or not).

Long story short, I read in different places not so good things about him, though he is talented guy.

Ya right. I was an avid Ibasic Pro user and community supporter back then. I got to know his shemes quite well.

You know that he is jail now? Serving 20-30 yrs? Glad he got what he deserves. These two poor girls will never have a normal life.

I am so bold to say that most of his languages were a big lie. He said he developed these things. When we got hold of the sources, it turns out that he used open source stuff where he said he devleoped it himself. He resold languages under different names, just rebranded them. He lied so much. Every month or so he beg the community for money because something drastic had happened. Surposingly he is one of the few who survided lung cancer. Yeah right.

sphinx

You know that he is jail now? Serving 20-30 yrs? Glad he got what he deserves. These two poor girls will never have a normal life.
Yes, he deserves it, I did not want to tell that story for not causing any misunderstanding and people accuse me that I am throwing Mark with the same behavior!

I am so bold to say that most of his languages were a big lie. He said he developed these things. When we got hold of the sources, it turns out that he used open source stuff where he said he devleoped it himself. He resold languages under different names, just rebranded them. He lied so much. Every month or so he beg the community for money because something drastic had happened. Surposingly he is one of the few who survided lung cancer. Yeah right.
Seriously?!!!!
Shame on him  :o
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

sphinx

QuoteWhy does he remind you of good ol' P.T.?
Similarities of making a language after another and not making a flagship product and enhances it overtime!
The only exception is that Mark gets bored, on the other hand Paul gets bankrupted or pretend to be  ;D
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

Steve Elliott

Jees, no wonder people turn to that system hog and clicky thing.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MikeHart

Quote from: sphinx on September 11, 2017, 19:58:56
Yes, he deserves it, I did not want to tell that story for not causing any misunderstanding and people accuse me that I am throwing Mark with the same behavior!

Seriously?!!!!
Shame on him  :o

What i ment by reselling, he sold ibasic Pro to Tom Hanlin, then later sold EBasic which just a rebrand but he stated that it was complete rewrite. Same goes with IBasic and CWBasic. And so on. He used an OSS 3d engine and said he created it. Sold that too.

MikeHart

Jeeez The Paul Turley times still wild me up. I was basically one of the first who called him out, that he is scamming people. Oh they loved him and they came with pitch forks after me (which several year later they apologized for).
At one point he decided to sell Pyxia.com and with it, the rights to IBP and IB. Supposingly a Tom Hanlin (Powerbasic) bought it. TH contacted me shortly after the deal was done and asked me to work on IBP. So I did, enhanced the 2D side big time and other stuff. Never saw a dime for it. Then all of a sudden Tom Hanlin dissapears, never to be seen.
With the help of the community he got located, Police was sent to his house. He said he has no deals with Pyxia.
Shortly after that, the Pyxia.com site was hacked and everything was deleted. Complete shutdown and the community was gone. We think that Paul Turley left a backdoor open and did that. And guess what. During that time he released EBasic, said it was a complete rewrite from the ground up. Which it wasn't. It was IBasic Pro rebranded. I can even tell you more but that would go to far.

Pingus

@Playniax

QuoteI am using monkey2 everyday and really, if the compile time was so bad I would already have thrown in the towel.

May I ask you how much code lines are you compiling ? I guess I need to make further tests, because ~1mn for 10000 lines seems really not good.

Qube

Cor, must of missed all the Paul Turley drama. I remember IBasic, the variants and murmurs about it but never heard the full story till now. Blissfully unaware me was :o
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

sphinx

Quote from: MikeHart on September 11, 2017, 22:23:34
Supposingly a Tom Hanlin (Powerbasic) bought it.
I think Tom Hanlin is in charge for PowerBasic after Bob Zale passed away a few years ago, Well, may God be with Mr Zale's wife as I read she is counting on him :(
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com