AGK vs Monkey?!

Started by bmcalex, September 03, 2017, 16:41:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Pingus

Nice game.
However on my (pretty powerful) PC it shows some 'smoothness weakness'. Well that's pretty usual with browser games anyway.
As I mentioned today another engine in another post (defold), I had the curiosity to check a similar html5 demo.

http://www.cgamoment.com/cosmic/play.html

I don't know if it's because it is a 2D engine and because you use 3D objects but it looks more smooth. Is there is a Windows (desktop) version of your game ?

Steve Elliott

That game is moving very small 2d sprites about, and certainly not large 2d and normal mapped 3d graphics!

http://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3303.0.html
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Pingus

OK thanks. Desktop version smooth as butter.
I can not blame AGK  :P

Qube

QuoteI don't know if it's because it is a 2D engine and because you use 3D objects but it looks more smooth. Is there is a Windows (desktop) version of your gam
The game was never meant for web browsers and it's definitely not optimised graphically as everything is over the top like 1024x1024 textures + normal map just for a crumby little comet. I'm surprised it even runs at any decent frame rate in a browser :P

( I see Steve posted the link, thanks, Steve )
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

RonTek

Quote from: MikeHart on September 05, 2017, 10:24:44
There is no PBR in AGK and I doubt it will come. They are not targeting high end systems. I think for M2 you need better performing machines.

I think they have mentioned PBR in their roadmap or product page..

QuoteThe game engine provides an optimised and powerful 3D engine. Full shader support, height map terrain generation, shader, lighting and more. All popular 3D model formats are supported and new features such as shadows, 3D particles and PBR support are coming very soon.

https://www.appgamekit.com/technology

RonTek

Ok I found a downloaded mojo3d copy from the posted link on the live chat a few months ago. (mojo3d_v0.0.9)

Xaron

mojo3d is contained in the official Monkey download as well (1.1.06): https://blitzresearch.itch.io/monkey2

TomToad

Quote from: RonTek on September 05, 2017, 09:25:05
I'm curious as to why the 3D module download link is nowhere publicly visible and available..

M2 v1.1.06 includes Mojo3D.

Edit: Xaron beat me to it while I was reading the thread  ;D
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

RonTek

Ah great, thanks guys.

The only issue that I have so far with Monkey2 is the build time where it now seems doubled or even longer compared to Monkey-X. I remember trying it once and having to wait a few minutes to build a simple demo or example, kind of reminds me of Haxe build time as well. Of course, there's also the C/C++ syntax thing which has become the default argument of most BRL users.

Pingus

Quote from: RonTek on September 06, 2017, 11:36:10

The only issue that I have so far with Monkey2 is the build time

Oh ?! Long build times is what scare me the most. Can you estimate roughly how big your project is (number of lines) ?

RonTek

Quote from: Pingus on September 06, 2017, 12:46:37
Quote from: RonTek on September 06, 2017, 11:36:10

The only issue that I have so far with Monkey2 is the build time

Oh ?! Long build times is what scare me the most. Can you estimate roughly how big your project is (number of lines) ?

Hey Pingus, yes as I have posted above just the examples alone already takes some time to build (~300-500 lines). I'm going to try it again just to see how Mojo3D performs on older android devices.

Xaron

I'd be curious if mojo3d works on mobile devices at all yet. As far as I know this is still in progress. But keep us posted please.

MikeHart

Quote from: RonTek on September 06, 2017, 13:05:35
Hey Pingus, yes as I have posted above just the examples alone already takes some time to build (~300-500 lines). I'm going to try it again just to see how Mojo3D performs on older android devices.

Is it slow even with subsequent builds of the same project? With CX it is much slower on the first build cause all these files from GLFW will be compiled. Later on it is only the main file that is recompiled and then linked to the object files of GLFW.

RonTek

Quote from: MikeHart on September 06, 2017, 15:03:41
Quote from: RonTek on September 06, 2017, 13:05:35

Is it slow even with subsequent builds of the same project? With CX it is much slower on the first build cause all these files from GLFW will be compiled. Later on it is only the main file that is recompiled and then linked to the object files of GLFW.

Hey Mike, it looks like it depends on the code changes, changing the title on android build took 17s, that's just the NDK .so file w/o the final gradle build. On that note, I'm still having problems setting up gradle on Monkey2, it seems it was not setup properly. On other foss projects, it is automatic when you run gradlew.bat and so now I have to install gradle manually. :/