AGK vs Monkey?!

Started by bmcalex, September 03, 2017, 16:41:41

Previous topic - Next topic

bmcalex

Hello to all,

Firstly, I have an acceptable experience in programming (used to use VB6 for apps development and C++ using CodeBlocks for small utilities).

I played a bit with both products and honestly I found that :

AGK documentations is better than Monkey, it even has video tutorials and pdf book.

AGK IDE is better than Ted2Go, it reminds me of CodeBlocks IDE.

Though I am not sure which is better regarding performance, support and bug fixes, ease of deployment....etc

Why should I pick one over the other?

I do appreciate your opinions.

Qube

I've moved the topic to general discussion and removed the duplicate from the Monkey forums to keep things tidy and clean :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Pingus

From my very limited experience with Monkey, setting things up to compile and send the app to the device is a pain and requires to learn how to devellop with Android tools, while it works like a breeze with AGK (click>run>deploy). Also Monkey may be very slow to compile/parse if you have a big project. AGK is much easier to use for Android and has a huge community. But keep in mind that AGK is a interpreted language (unless you use it in C++) so it depends the kind of app you want to do with it.

Xaron

Monkey is dead but lives on in Cerberus.

Compiling and deployment to Android is basically one click stuff as well but you have to install Android Studio for that.

Performance wise Monkey runs probably circles around AGK which is interpreted in Tier 1. You can use C++ with AGK which is nice and in that case it's most likely on par.

When it comes to 3d, I'd say AGK is better. There are two 3d solutions for Monkey, Minib3d which is like BB3D and Vortex which uses some simple to use API as well.

Ted2Go is not a IDE it's ... just a better notepad. Actually now I get that you probably don't mean Monkey but Monkey 2, right? Well...

So about Monkey 2, my take on it:
Awesome language with almost non existing documentation, unusable IDE. One man show. Pretty performant but quite some compiling times.

For me the non existing documentation and the (for me) absolutely unusable IDE (actually IDE is a huge exagerration) makes a decision easy. Go with AGK. There is a team behind which work hard on fixes. Plus, and now comes the probably most important point: THEY DO LISTEN TO THE COMMUNITY and don't ban members like me who just questioned something.  :P

bmcalex

Quote from: Qube on September 03, 2017, 17:17:09
I've moved the topic to general discussion and removed the duplicate from the Monkey forums to keep things tidy and clean :)

Sorry for that Qube, and thanks for taking the time to tidy things up :)

bmcalex

Quote from: Pingus on September 03, 2017, 17:33:35
From my very limited experience with Monkey, setting things up to compile and send the app to the device is a pain and requires to learn how to devellop with Android tools, while it works like a breeze with AGK (click>run>deploy). Also Monkey may be very slow to compile/parse if you have a big project. AGK is much easier to use for Android and has a huge community. But keep in mind that AGK is a interpreted language (unless you use it in C++) so it depends the kind of app you want to do with it.

Thanks Pingus for your reply and to my surprise I did not know AGK is interpreted!

bmcalex

Quote from: Xaron on September 03, 2017, 17:58:03
Monkey is dead but lives on in Cerberus.
I know that, actually I had to mention Cerberus as I meant AGK vs Cerberus vs Monkey 2!

When it comes to 3d, I'd say AGK is better. There are two 3d solutions for Monkey, Minib3d which is like BB3D and Vortex which uses some simple to use API as well.
I am not interested in 3D.

Ted2Go is not a IDE it's ... just a better notepad. Actually now I get that you probably don't mean Monkey but Monkey 2, right? Well...
You are right, I meant Monkey 2!!

So about Monkey 2, my take on it:
Awesome language with almost non existing documentation, unusable IDE. One man show. Pretty performant but quite some compiling times.

For me the non existing documentation and the (for me) absolutely unusable IDE (actually IDE is a huge exagerration) makes a decision easy. Go with AGK. There is a team behind which work hard on fixes. Plus, and now comes the probably most important point: THEY DO LISTEN TO THE COMMUNITY and don't ban members like me who just questioned something.  :P
I second your suggestions if it was not interpreted :(
I think I will choose Cerberus then, I downloaded it but I have some issues!!
I guess I better post them at Cerberus forums!

Thanks Xaron

Xaron

Well interpreted doesn't mean it's slow. That's not the case. Of course it's slower than compiled but I think it's still fast enough for most cases.

Xaron

And never forget: Mark closed down everything without even blinking. He's awesome in creating new languages, but sucks in Marketing and communication. I have no doubts there will be M3 at some point.

Steve Elliott

I am not interested in 3D.

Well interpreted doesn't mean it's slow. That's not the case. Of course it's slower than compiled but I think it's still fast enough for most cases.

And never forget: Mark closed down everything without even blinking.

If interpreted 2D games using STOS/AMOS BASIC on the 16 bit computers were fast enough, on today's 64-bit processors and powerful graphics processors it certainly is!

Mark is unreliable - give AGK a go.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Naughty Alien

...as Yasha pointed loooong ago in bb forums...'Mark doesnt respond to a  men nor to a Gods'..
--you want piece of advice?? Stay away from BRL .. as for AGK, its there, it works and its fast enough..plenty of games made with it so i think that should be a testimony for its use..and community there is very much a live and friendly..

MikeHart

If I had to choose between Monkey 2 and AGK, i would ALWAYS choose AGK. It works, gets frequently updated, has a good community and good documentation. That choice is a nobrainer.

Pakz

I have been looking at app game kit but the documentation is really bad also. (not even b3d quality(every command an example)) I am still looking around since it is still on sale but it looks like it is not worth it.
Mark mentioned the monkey2 docs will improve in the coming months so I wil wait for that.

Naughty Alien

QuoteMark mentioned the monkey2 docs will improve in the coming months so I wil wait for that.

..once upon a time, he mentioned that he is about to finish max3d as it is 'just around corner'...many things have been mentioned..

Steve Elliott

Mark does tell a good (fantasy) story lol  :D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb