AGK vs Monkey?!

Started by bmcalex, September 03, 2017, 16:41:41

Previous topic - Next topic

ms62

sphinx, I see risk for those young guys who want to enter game producing industry. There are two paths, one is to be hired, the other is to develop your own game and sell. If they spend time on unknown languages and environments, they develop some skills that there are no demand for. Of course, some skills are abstract, but most of the firms prefer not to spend on training for transition. Another risk of spending time is the one that you say, and is true; you put your time (money is equivalent to time in capitalism, we don't charge them in traffic jam, they charge us for the gas in our car) on a product, then you see the product is abandoned; it is like burning your paper money.

Steve Elliott

Soo very true sphinx, that is why myself and others are done with Mark and BRL.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

sphinx

Quote from: ms62 on October 03, 2017, 18:55:52
sphinx, I see risk for those young guys who want to enter game producing industry. There are two paths, one is to be hired, the other is to develop your own game and sell. If they spend time on unknown languages and environments, they develop some skills that there are no demand for. Of course, some skills are abstract, but most of the firms prefer not to spend on training for transition. Another risk of spending time is the one that you say, and is true; you put your time (money is equivalent to time in capitalism, we don't charge them in traffic jam, they charge us for the gas in our car) on a product, then you see the product is abandoned; it is like burning your paper money.
People who look for getting hired do not even care to try out anything but industry standards (C++, Java or even C# through Unity...etc).
Indie developers like us, hobbyists or young guys who want to enter game producing industry has many options to choose from, if I am new and looking for something to start with (either a programming language or point and click) I am sure I will not choose Blitz products, not because they are weak or feature poor but because the knowledge I gain about BRL history and for the sake of my future.

Though, I like Blitz products, I even made many cool things/games with it and as a matter of fact I am still using it, but not for too long as I am moving away!
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

MikeHart

Quote from: ms62 on October 03, 2017, 15:50:18
For AGK, I think its BASIC converts codes to C++ then runs C++.
Nope, AGK Tier 1 is an interpreted language. Your BASIC code is compiled to a bytecode, which will be run by the interpreter/player. That code calls into the AGK API, the same that is used in Tier2 directly.

sphinx

By 'BRL history' I do not mean bad (They are great guys and their history is good) but I am talking about me (the end user) wasting a lot of time!, please review my post #91 above!
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

ms62

Sphinx, you don't have stats to say "what" people think. Relax :D

MikeHart, thanks, your Monkey book was a good one. Unfortunately, I was in love with BlitzMax.

sphinx

Quote from: ms62 on October 03, 2017, 19:51:21
Sphinx, you don't have stats to say "what" people think. Relax :D

MikeHart, thanks, your Monkey book was a good one. Unfortunately, I was in love with BlitzMax.
You are right, it is all based on my readings!
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com