August 25, 2019, 05:03:44 AM

Author Topic: AGK vs Monkey?!  (Read 13414 times)

Offline ms62

Re: AGK vs Monkey?!
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2017, 03:50:18 PM »
Naughty Alien,

I agree, I add my part that "userbase" means listening, not going too much ahead, not falling behind, having transparency, accepting that good for humanity comes from cooperation, not heroism, not competition. It is possible to have userbase without synergy, but the life of the product and the order of the community will be short. AGK didn't have 3D shadows, they asked us what we want, we said 3D shadows, we got it in less than a year. Now, if they listen, I ask for a better language, some touch of OOP, not too much. Sqlite demand is still on the table for many years. In Monkey 2, Sqlite is part of the package, of course, like always, without any guide. I still cannot open a simple text file with it, but I saw a good resource manager  :o

I sold my BMW for VW. Cheaper, has no prestige, but as comfortable or even more comfortable in some cases. Java has prestige, BlitzMax is comfortable. BlitzMax could be practical or even Blitz3D, unfortunately Java seems to be better in this case, or, they have made it practical finally a decade ago. Oh, it is that effort, making something practical, that helps too. Monkey 2 can still survive and become good.

A question, it seems Monkey 2 creates projects based on the compiler of a platform and runs that project. Is this is a good design? Isn't writing particular compiler better? Or, may be it is too much work. I think PureBasic compiles directly just like C. I like that. Can someone explain how Monkey 2 compiles comparing to C?  For AGK, I think its BASIC converts codes to C++ then runs C++. I found no problem with it. It ran my 3D spaceship with shadows and many objects in the scene very well. I wish I shouldn't have to spend time to write infinite plane for it, though!

Offline sphinx

• Ancientsoft
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »
Now, if you want to make game and hopefully make money, AGK seems to be better. If you want to invest your time in a universal language to gain skills to be applied for variaties of domains, go fo Monkey 2. However, it is risky because C#, Java and Swift are there and are stable and are very practical.
It is risky not because other languages are around (they are around all the time) it is risky because you will invest your time (again and again...!!) in a language which the developer will get bored sometime soon and will come up with a new language which has no backward compatibility and even worse has no documentation whatsoever!
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

Offline ms62

« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2017, 06:55:52 PM »
sphinx, I see risk for those young guys who want to enter game producing industry. There are two paths, one is to be hired, the other is to develop your own game and sell. If they spend time on unknown languages and environments, they develop some skills that there are no demand for. Of course, some skills are abstract, but most of the firms prefer not to spend on training for transition. Another risk of spending time is the one that you say, and is true; you put your time (money is equivalent to time in capitalism, we don't charge them in traffic jam, they charge us for the gas in our car) on a product, then you see the product is abandoned; it is like burning your paper money.

Offline Steve Elliott

« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2017, 06:57:24 PM »
Soo very true sphinx, that is why myself and others are done with Mark and BRL.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspbian Buster, pi4 4Gb RAM,1.5Ghz

Offline sphinx

• Ancientsoft
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2017, 07:28:16 PM »
sphinx, I see risk for those young guys who want to enter game producing industry. There are two paths, one is to be hired, the other is to develop your own game and sell. If they spend time on unknown languages and environments, they develop some skills that there are no demand for. Of course, some skills are abstract, but most of the firms prefer not to spend on training for transition. Another risk of spending time is the one that you say, and is true; you put your time (money is equivalent to time in capitalism, we don't charge them in traffic jam, they charge us for the gas in our car) on a product, then you see the product is abandoned; it is like burning your paper money.
People who look for getting hired do not even care to try out anything but industry standards (C++, Java or even C# through Unity...etc).
Indie developers like us, hobbyists or young guys who want to enter game producing industry has many options to choose from, if I am new and looking for something to start with (either a programming language or point and click) I am sure I will not choose Blitz products, not because they are weak or feature poor but because the knowledge I gain about BRL history and for the sake of my future.

Though, I like Blitz products, I even made many cool things/games with it and as a matter of fact I am still using it, but not for too long as I am moving away!
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

Offline MikeHart

• Cerberus-X Dev Team
    • Cerberus X
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »
For AGK, I think its BASIC converts codes to C++ then runs C++.
Nope, AGK Tier 1 is an interpreted language. Your BASIC code is compiled to a bytecode, which will be run by the interpreter/player. That code calls into the AGK API, the same that is used in Tier2 directly.

Offline sphinx

• Ancientsoft
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2017, 07:40:56 PM »
By 'BRL history' I do not mean bad (They are great guys and their history is good) but I am talking about me (the end user) wasting a lot of time!, please review my post #91 above!
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

Offline ms62

« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2017, 07:51:21 PM »
Sphinx, you don’t have stats to say “what” people think. Relax :D

MikeHart, thanks, your Monkey book was a good one. Unfortunately, I was in love with BlitzMax.

Offline sphinx

• Ancientsoft
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2017, 09:25:59 PM »
Sphinx, you don’t have stats to say “what” people think. Relax :D

MikeHart, thanks, your Monkey book was a good one. Unfortunately, I was in love with BlitzMax.
You are right, it is all based on my readings!
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com