BMax app quits unexpectedly on MacOs Sierra when downloaded

Started by Pierrou, September 01, 2017, 23:55:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Pierrou

Hello,
I recently recompiled a game I made a few years ago, using BlitzMax 1.51 so that it could run on the latest MacOS releases. The game is inside a folder containing the executable, some pref files and a few folders with images and sounds. I have no problem using the game on the Mac I've used to compile it, but if I put the folder in a DMG file or a zip, then upload it to Google Drive or Wetransfer and download it, and then run it by pressing Alt while clicking on the exe and choosing "open", ignoring the warning window, it just crashes with a "xxx quit unexpectedly" error. That's quite weird and I have no idea how to upload the files like I always did before Sierra... Thanks in advance if you have any idea!

Qube

That is weird. Have you tried something like this for distribution?

Out of curiosity if you want to give me a link to a zip file that works on your Mac ( until it's zipped, uploaded and downloaded ) I'll happily have a look to see if I can spot anything.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Pierrou

Thanks! I sent you a link. Last time I did a dmg using roughly the same files and folders I had no problem...  :( :(

Qube

Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

markcwm

Pierrou

Quote from: Qube on September 02, 2017, 15:46:00
I didn't have any problems running the app :

Now that's weird... Cool, but weird... I don't have any antivirus on my Mac and the settings are quite standard since I don't use my Mac too much. Is there a security setting enabled somewhere ?
Thanks a lot for the tests and answers...

Qube

QuoteIs there a security setting enabled somewhere ?
On my iMac the firewall is enabled and apps are only allowed to run from the AppStore. To open your app I had to do the control + open and agree to the app running. I've not dumbed down any settings.

Are you using a 3rd party unzip tool? - Have you tried downloading via a different browser?

It is odd that I can download and run your app but you can not. So there is clearly something between the download click and the running of the app.

I've PM'd you a link to download your app from my side. It'll be interesting to see if it runs for you.

Until the next time.

Pierrou

Thanks!! The DMG you sent led to the same result : app quit unexpectedly
Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000034
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
which is typically what we get when the exe can't access a data file, isn't it?
Standard zip and Tool disk utils used
In fact I became aware of that problem when a user (on MacOS Sierra) to whom I had sent the new dmg told me that she couldn't run the app, and I didn't expect to have the same issue, but I did have the same issue.
The dmg/zip files don't seem corrupted, so it's a bit  ::) ::)
Downloading using Chrome or Safari doesn't change a thing...  :o

Pierrou

Experiments
- make an archive with just the newly compiled (and working) executables, upload it to Google Drive, download it, put it in a folder with the data files--> run the executable : not working
- doing all of the above, but instead of running the executable itself --> show package content, Contents/MacOS/game file --> run that file ==> working...
It's really weird...

Qube

If I remember correctly there was a similar issue with Monkey on Sierra which is why Mark make a PKG installer rather than a DMG. I also remember that moving the app the wouldn't launch to the desktop and then moving it back magically fixed it ( don't know why ).

Until the next time.

Pierrou

??? :D
Well haven't tried the PKG intstaller yet, I will thanks! Fingers crossed...

Pierrou

Hi!
Using Packages seems to solve the problem, thanks a lot for your help !!