Apparently AGK is very slow for 2d drawing :/

Started by Xaron, August 20, 2017, 14:54:38

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeHart

Quote from: Xaron on August 30, 2017, 15:35:46
Actually Monkey 2 is a nice language and very usable. The main issue is the he'll of a crap IDE and the non existing documentation.

Just use the MX docs  ;D Its compatible they said.  :P

Xaron

LOL. Actually it's somewhat different and it's a pity - what a waste of a talent. He could be where AGK is now. And he could be there years ago, drinking some cocktails at the beach.

Pingus

I have no 'blind trust' on Mark's products, but I know that bmax was and still is a solid and reliable engine for PC/MACOS dev, even with a simple IDE. I remember quite well that when bmax was released, I had read a lot of negative reviews on it : "lack of documentation, unfinished product, you should better use C++" etc...
Well, bmax helped to paid the bills since a while that's why, without beeing a fanboy, it makes sense to me to have a fair review of Monkey2 and compare it with other 'casual engines' like AGK.
But that topic is not the place for another engine war, I just wanted to point out that AGK is not slow because of drawing (it is handled by the GPU so there is no reason it to be slow) but because it is interpreted. It has its advantages and disadvantages. Sorry to have mentioned Monkey2 here.

MikeHart

Quote from: Pingus on August 30, 2017, 20:34:19
... but I know that bmax was and still is a solid and reliable engine for PC/MACOS dev, even with a simple IDE. ...

To bad you will loose the OSX part soon when only 64bit apps are running on it.

Pingus

QuoteTo bad you will loose the OSX part soon when only 64bit apps are running on it.

Is'nt NG supposed to compile for 64 bits OSX ? I did'nt try on OSX but it seems working pretty well on Windows.

MikeHart

Quote from: Pingus on August 30, 2017, 22:07:19
QuoteTo bad you will loose the OSX part soon when only 64bit apps are running on it.

Is'nt NG supposed to compile for 64 bits OSX ? I did'nt try on OSX but it seems working pretty well on Windows.

I thought you were talking about vanilla bmx.