Seems that old Blitzmax users are not using SyntaxBomb...

Started by fielder, August 10, 2017, 09:11:35

Previous topic - Next topic

LT

Quote from: Kronos on August 11, 2017, 16:57:00
does lurking count.
Nope, I've been lurking as well, but I think he's just counting active posters.  I'm still here, still using BMX, but haven't had much to say.

I heard that this site was going to get an archive of all old posts, but so far...  :(

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

QuoteI heard that this site was going to get an archive of all old posts, but so far...  :(
Simon gave permission to put the code archives with comments here, which I've done. However, when I emailed asking if I could do the same with the whole forum I did not hear anything back.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

cpsmith0191

Ah nice to find some familiar faces, well internet presences, hope the future is bright and full of blitz max code. Just discovered this site have fun cps.

Steve Elliott

Just discovered this site have fun

Welcome aboard, it's pretty chilled around here  :D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

RonTek

As both BlitzMax user and rediscovering MonkeyX user, I can see why MonkeyX has to happen. For most BlitzMax users waiting for BlitzMax 2, that is MonkeyX.

3D for BlitzMax or the next Blitz3D is yet another topic and there are some good options to choose from. From the MonkeyX side, I think MiniB3D and other 3D mods like Vortex is good enough though more documentation would be nice, but then again maybe your mileage may vary.  ;)

MikeHart

Quote from: RonTek on August 13, 2017, 09:05:25
As both BlitzMax user and rediscovering MonkeyX user, I can see why MonkeyX has to happen. For most BlitzMax users waiting for BlitzMax 2, that is MonkeyX.

3D for BlitzMax or the next Blitz3D is yet another topic and there are some good options to choose from. From the MonkeyX side, I think MiniB3D and other 3D mods like Vortex is good enough though more documentation would be nice, but then again maybe your mileage may vary.  ;)

Did you see the examples Javi posted on our site? Vortex2 for CX will be awesome and he is providing a Blitz3d like layer with it.

RonTek

Quote from: MikeHart on August 13, 2017, 09:25:35
Did you see the examples Javi posted on our site? Vortex2 for CX will be awesome and he is providing a Blitz3d like layer with it.

Good to know Mike, I have tried Vortex and it does not work with Android. I've seen the demos but that's baked lighting which makes any scene looks good. Again, it's still early to give a review if the project is still untested.

In the meantime, I'll settle for MonkeyX and Adam R's MiniB3D. :)

mob

I wanted to give some feedback on the forum and why it might not be as popular as BlitzMax's forum was.

The design of SyntaxBomb looks dated. Browsing the forum isn't fun and it's hard to find the right infos and read text. The layout/spacing could be better, threads are rather cluttered ... I assume you could tweak some of these aspects in this environment but what about something new, something fresh? Would it be an option to use forum software like Discourse or Flarum?

The BlitzMax forum ended in a bad way and hurt some peoples' feelings. Offering something easier, better and more exciting could be a way to get people interested again. You aren't an official forum, which means you lack the more direct connection, but on the other hand you can offer a wider spectrum. This could work out if the right (amount of) people frequent the forum. You could try to enhance the situation by addressing some of the issues mentioned before and by avoiding the mistakes mods did on BlitzMax.

Make it easy, fun, exciting (competitions are a nice idea) and an open minded place, where people can discuss the way they want.

Qube

QuoteMake it easy, fun, exciting (competitions are a nice idea) and an open minded place, where people can discuss the way they want.
Isn't it already?

QuoteThe design of SyntaxBomb looks dated. Browsing the forum isn't fun and it's hard to find the right infos and read text. The layout/spacing could be better, threads are rather cluttered ... I assume you could tweak some of these aspects in this environment but what about something new, something fresh? Would it be an option to use forum software like Discourse or Flarum?
I don't think the forum looks too dated and I don't like the super modern trend of having everything look so minimal on a white background. Thanks for signing up to slate the forum :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

mob

There is no need for white (prefs) but the designs and concepts have improved. It might need some time getting used to them but once you did, they're better and more clearly arranged. Even if you only like oldskool forums, take a look at this site and the BRL forums, SyntaxBomb is hard to read which seems to be a step backwards and might be a reason why some people refuse to participate.

MikeHart

Quote from: mob on August 14, 2017, 16:40:00
There is no need for white (prefs) but the designs and concepts have improved. It might need some time getting used to them but once you did, they're better and more clearly arranged. Even if you only like oldskool forums, take a look at this site and the BRL forums, SyntaxBomb is hard to read which seems to be a step backwards and might be a reason why some people refuse to participate.

Sorry, I lost you when you said that this forum looks more dated than the old BMAX forum.  ;D

TomToad

I disagree. I think the forums here are much better than the old blitz basic site. I also find it easy to navigate and read. The bb site search was way too primitive, making me use Google search most of the time, and navigating to unread posts were a pain. Could only skip to the last post made and not to the first unread. If there were 20 new posts since you last logged on, you would need to scroll backwards to find the new posts.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

mob

The turned off BRL forums were limited but easier to read. Their currently active forum is cleaner. The layout here offers room for improvements and if you dare to think outside of the box, there exist some interesting options which offer advantages both in design and functionality.

If you enjoy this 'look&feel' then stay with it. I just wanted to point out that this might be a cause for some people not showing up, as they're used to something better/alternatives already.