Code a game competition - Aug - Oct 2017 - £500 worth of prizes

Started by Qube, August 09, 2017, 01:29:39

Previous topic - Next topic

BasicBoy

NRJ

@therevills

your game is not working on my pc.
when I double click on NOTU.EXE nothing happens ...

I have windows 7,32 bit.
IF YOU CAN DREAM IT,  YOU CAN DO IT...

http://www.nksoftgames.blogspot.com

NRJ

@Derron

I  have installed your game from the updated link ,but is still showing EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION on my pc.

Derron

@ NRJ
In Both versions OpenGL _and_ DirectX9 ?
Also your binary has a different date than mine (yours: 1:22 PM, mine: 2:26 - hours do not matter but minutes are different)

It should have similar dates like this (ignore hours as local timezone might differ):

(files are newer than "deadline" because of the bugfixes regarding segfaults - and the option to use DX or OGL, no gameplay enhancements were done)
Your screenshot also exposes that there are some issues with the letterbox code (the sunburst behind the lollipop and the overlay used there - are offset by the size of the upper "not-seen-on-screenshot"-letter-box bar). Will have a look at this.

@therevills
I sometimes died "out of the sudden" (no enemy in sight). Also I loose HP when the enemy is aside of me (are they "shooting" at me or is the hitbox offset?)

@ BasicBoy
Tried to start your game but it seems to not be able to create the directories - So I could create each directory by hand (starting - noting error, creating the missing dir and the next pops up) but this is really cumbersome so I stopped doing that. Is there a reason for this kind of compression?

@ Dwapook
Are the players supposed to die somewhen ? I stood in the middle of the crowd but nothing happened. At the game begin I thought "ohh, bugged? enemies are outside and no door is there". Maybe add a sprite on the wall or a increasing rectangle (simulate a sliding-up door) at the spot at which an enemy enter.

@ Qube
Where is your "not-taking-part-in-the-combo"-combo-entry you presented in an earlier post?

bye
Ron

therevills

Quote from: NRJ on November 01, 2017, 08:02:48
@therevills

your game is not working on my pc.
when I double click on NOTU.EXE nothing happens ...

I have windows 7,32 bit.

Hmm no idea really, its a MX2 app I've tested on Windows 10 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit :(

Quote from: Derron on November 01, 2017, 08:28:23
@therevills
I sometimes died "out of the sudden" (no enemy in sight). Also I loose HP when the enemy is aside of me (are they "shooting" at me or is the hitbox offset?)

I did say it was unfinished :D I hacked the collision stuff really quickly in late last night - I was having issues with my A* path finding and was running out of time :(

Well it seems most of our entries have some spooky bugs in them  :P

NRJ

@Derron

Earlier I have only checked TrickOrSweets_Win32.exe which shows the error.
I have not looked at the TrickOrSweets_Win32_DIRECTX9 , TrickOrSweets_Win32_OPENGL file  :-X.

Yes, both the directx9 and opengl file are working fine . :)

BasicBoy

Quote from: Derron on November 01, 2017, 08:28:23
@ BasicBoy
Tried to start your game but it seems to not be able to create the directories - So I could create each directory by hand (starting - noting error, creating the missing dir and the next pops up) but this is really cumbersome so I stopped doing that. Is there a reason for this kind of compression?

Hmm strange. Just to be sure, did you extract the 'Forces Of Darkness' folder from the Zip folder first before running the EXE?

Which version of Windows were you trying to run it on?

Regards,
BasicBoy.
--

Derron

Running it on wine (linux) and an XP-machine. Works on windows 10.

Intro is nice - thought about that too but when creating some PNGs of each 4MB sized I stopped to keep download size "nice". Will have to do them procedurally (like your palette/color-adjustments). Already planned some moving "fog-clouds" on the start screen but hey... time was running out ;-D

Gameplay seems some kind of "slow". I do not know how to describe it but moving the ship feels like it moves through thick air. Not as "snappy" as used in such side scrollers.
Aside of that: it runs smooth and I think if it used some polished up sprites, it could look pretty nifty.

PS: Got hit pretty hard when I tried to collect the "blinking pot" on the ground. Thought it was a "magic power up soup".

bye
Ron

Derron

@ therevills (spooky bugs)
Hmm, that reminds me of the plan to add some checks to my bigger game project: if you run it during holidays (christmas and the likes) you get a penalty of 75% ("care of your family"-malus). HawwHaww.

@ BasicBoy
I added some file checks to the executables to make sure things load properly. I also created some error messages if the render2texture is failing. So we could try to narrow down the issue.

v0.1.1 contains:
- error messages thrown if files (images and sounds) are missing
- a "v0.1.1" on startscreen ( so we see if you are using the "latest version")
- some viewport adjustments (before doing render2texture) to avoid texture displacement when running in a letterboxed window (non full-hd-ratio resolution)
- a MacOS (32bit) build

Download v0.1.1 : http://www.gamezworld.de/files/TrickOrSweets_v0.1.1.7z

bye
Ron

RonTek

I got all working here.

@therevills

ah I see a Negan as player there, nice.  :D

@Derron

Only having problems with the window position. It was way up the top left corner and trouble moving it by mouse. I have to do Alt-Space then directional arrow keys to get it in place to be playable, everything else looks good!

Steve Elliott

Running it on wine (linux) and an XP-machine. Works on windows 10.

Gameplay seems some kind of "slow". I do not know how to describe it but moving the ship feels like it moves through thick air. Not as "snappy" as used in such side scrollers.

You're running his game under emulation and wonder why it's slow?!  An XP machine?  haha.

Runs fast and very smooth here.  In fact it runs too fast - 75 FPS instead of the required 60.  Some time limiting needed really.

And all the games work without any problems here.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

col

Some cool entries!

All games work great here too with the latest downloads.

Win7 x64 Nv750ti
Win7 x64 Nv650m
Win7 x64 Radeon 4000
Linux Mint 18 x64 Radeon 4000
Linux Mint 18 x64 Nv650m

Great job!
I see the bar for quality is definitely getting higher  8)

@Qube
What happened to your Match3 style game? That had promise :)
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Qube

Great entries  :D - I will get the voting poll up thing evening.

Quote@Qube
What happened to your Match3 style game? That had promise :)

Quote@ Qube
Where is your "not-taking-part-in-the-combo"-combo-entry you presented in an earlier post?

http://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3325.msg7758.html#msg7758

As said, I will not be entering any more comps here. For the next comp members need to pick someone to run them :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

col

That's a shame as you also help to 'up the ante' too  :)
I thought you were going to submit your entry but not claim any prizes.
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Derron

Quote from: Steve Elliott on November 01, 2017, 10:49:39
You're running his game under emulation and wonder why it's slow?!  An XP machine?  haha.

Runs fast and very smooth here.  In fact it runs too fast - 75 FPS instead of the required 60.  Some time limiting needed really.

And all the games work without any problems here.

- I try it out in virtual machines first (saves headaches with security problems)
- I use a "MiniXP"-vmachine for it (give it 512mb of RAM, a single core, and you have a fine windows-build-machine)
- I tried to run it (the game) on "wine" to see if it handles directory permissions correctly. My game created the needed directories (config/profiles) when run under wine - so he might have used another approach to create missing directories
- run on Windows 10 I had no trouble unpacking the whole thing.

Regarding "slow": I was _not_ talking about FPS (my full-hd-game is displayed with ~2500 fps if I do not limit it). I was talking about the "feel". So it felt as if there was some kind of "inertia" compared to the snappiness of fast-paced-rtype-clones. It felt too "smooth". This is why I was talking about "Gameplay seems some kind of "slow"" and not "game runs sluggish" (which it doesn't!).

@ RonTek
open up config/settings.xml with the editor of your choice and adjust "screen_width" and "screen_height" to your desire (and enable fullscreen if needed). A new version would probably add an settings-screen (could nearly copy-paste it from my other game - as I expose renderer, fullscreen, vsync, resolution, ... there too). But these compo-entries should surely be a bit "bleeding edge" and "full of bugs" :p

@ col
Yeah, I assume too that Qube will post his game too - so people could see what's "possible". I think his game has surely advanced a bit since last video-gameplay.

bye
Ron