Code a game competition - Aug - Oct 2017 - £500 worth of prizes

Started by Qube, August 09, 2017, 01:29:39

Previous topic - Next topic

wookie22

I've just found out that there is a contest, 2 hours before end  :( - so my question is: when will be next contest?
Hidden Deep - 2D Action & Exploration Sci-Fi Thriller for PC/Mac/Linux
http://www.hiddendeepgame.com

Derron

Trick or Sweets

What is it about? Place Sweets from "grannys/grampas" house to the bags of the upcoming waves of children.
Make sure to keep children satisfied - if you do not give them sweets fast enough they get impatient (reducing time for this level).

What's in?
- basic profile support (storing current level, scores, coins, ...)
- basic configuration support (check config/settings.xml to enable fullscreen or reduce resolution. Native is 1920x1080)
- sound loops - short loops are chained into longer ones and then crossfaded with other loops (sounds strange ;-)
- random level generators + scripted ones
- Limits for productions (max 3 per item-stack)

What's not in?
- Tech upgrades: Production speed upgrades, bonus items to keep children "patient" (gummy bears ...), Production limit increase, ...
- Coins (for tech upgrades)
- Boss fights (Children accepting sweets only "ordered" and hiding everything but the top most needed sweet)
- Item bonus/malus: some sweets should gain score multipliers, speed up production time for X seconds ...
- GUI-selectable profiles (had not enough time to add the modal window properly - while the code is there already, thanks to my framework)
- better GUI graphics (have some stuff in mind but time was running out)

Tech Notes:
- graphics done with Blender + HUD-Elements/Overlays with Photoshop CS1
- written using my DIG-framework (https://github.com/GWRon/Dig)
- sounds edited by me and original sources are noted in res/sfx/sources.txt
- gradient/shadowed fonts are done dynamically (via hooking in custom functions to the Freetype-To-BitmapFont-Loading function)
- partially uses Col's Render2Texture code (wanted to try it) - for now the score-entities and the "items on the bag"-graphics use that to minimize draw calls.

What I have learned from it:

- improve Blender knowledge (especially materials with Cycles - and texture painting with my new digitizer/pen)
- some casual "gameplay ideas" (I am not that experienced when it comes to casual games)
- creating a 3d-ish Text-Logo-effect isn't that hard ;-)

Time consumed:
- think >10 evenings for modelling the complete stuff. Means >50hrs (including render time)
- ~5 evenings and a long weekend's sparetime (time after lunch when son was asleep) to code the stuff (including nasty debugging when missing a "bla = 0" dev variable somewhere). so I would say ~30-35 hours. But framework code was surely in the hundreds of saved hours

Title Screen:

introduction / helper for unknown new items:

Ingame:

Edit: here is a gameplay video:

Download v0.1: http://www.gamezworld.de/files/TrickOrSweets_v0.1_fixed.7z
(Linux 32 bit and Windows 32 bit executables included).

Download v0.1.1: http://www.gamezworld.de/files/TrickOrSweets_v0.1.1.7z
(Linux 32 bit, Windows 32 bit and MacOS 32 bit executables included)
(v.0.1.1 created _after_ deadline but only contains some "throw"-lines to narrow down potential errors and an improved viewport-adjustment as letterbox might introduce render2texture issues)

Here is a v0.1.2 for Win32, Linux32, Mac32: https://www.gamezworld.de/files/TrickOrSweets_v0.1.2.7z

Here is a v0.1.3 for Win32, Linux32: https://www.gamezworld.de/files/TrickOrSweets_v0.1.3.7z

-> current development is done in this thread here:
http://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3585.msg8451

bye
Ron

col

Some great entries. I have my vote in mind already but I'll wait until the deadline passes.
Good luck to everyone  8)

@Derron... you still have another hour! it's 23.06 here in the UK.

I get an EAV on your entry, the log states
[23:56:45] ERR      | SOUNDMANAGER.SETAUDIOENGINE(): audio engine "AUTOMATIC" (configured) failed.
[23:56:45] DBG      | SOUNDMANAGER.SETAUDIOENGINE(): initialized with engine "LINUX_PULSE".

on a window 7 unit.
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Derron

Will try now (as stated in my edited previous post).

Hmm, seems is crashes on windows because of your DX9 render2target stuff ... comented that out and it works here.
crashes there: d3d9max2d.bmx

Local driver:TD3D9Max2DDriver=D3D9Max2DDriver()
If driver SetGraphicsDriver driver

Will reupload a fixed version (without DX9)
bye
Ron

Derron

Uploaded a fixed version (and adjusted link accordingly).

Had to disable the DX-stuff for windows targets as it creates some EAVs. Will raise issues on your github project @ Col. Will check it further tomorrow - compiling via a portable blitzmax installation in my virtualbox XP leads to an exe which crashes on windows 10 (the vbox one is OGL only - which has FBO issues, aka "no r2t"). Compiling it then with the same installation on Windows 10 creates a working executable.

Sorry for derailing the thread with these things.

bye
Ron

col

Sounds cool and looks good!

I've not played it yet - waaay too tired tonight, but it load's up now with a funky sound track  8)
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

BasicBoy

Quote from: Derron on October 31, 2017, 23:45:23
Uploaded a fixed version (and adjusted link accordingly).

Had to disable the DX-stuff for windows targets as it creates some EAVs. Will raise issues on your github project @ Col. Will check it further tomorrow - compiling via a portable blitzmax installation in my virtualbox XP leads to an exe which crashes on windows 10 (the vbox one is OGL only - which has FBO issues, aka "no r2t"). Compiling it then with the same installation on Windows 10 creates a working executable.

I've just downloaded TrickOrSweets_v0.1_fixed.7z (I don't know if it's the latest version), and I get a Windows exception error (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION).

My system is Windows 10 (64-bit), Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, integrated graphics adaptor (Intel HD Graphics 4600).

The program ends/crashes with the EAV as soon as I've clicked to continue on the 'WELCOME' dialogue box.

Regards,
BasicBoy.
--

Derron

I meanwhile edited my post to contain a youtube-video.

I assume it crashes because of the render2texture thingy. Dunno if Col (whose module/code it is) knews about issues with Intel IGPs ?
As I do not really need the render2texture stuff (my Bitmapfont-class can render to texture in "software" ) I could modify the code to not use r2t.
But on my notebook (i5 processor) it works. Hmm. I might add some "--opengl" and "--directx" params to allow different drivers (then also available via settings.xml).

Edit: I updated the download (and changed server as the other one was under stress now)  - when now starting one of the Bat[ch]-files you could force either OGL or DX9. With DX9 I got some graphic issues (black background for the render2texture images). I also seem to have missed a image in the "fix"-download which is now added.
I really should use my "Registry" as it used default-images for non existing ones (instead of segfaulting for the null-access).

Will see if others get that error too - or if it is gone now.

bye
Ron

BasicBoy

Quote from: Derron on November 01, 2017, 00:43:34

Edit: here it is:
http://www.digidea.de/files/TrickOrSweets_Win32.7z
unpack that and override the TrickOrSweets_Win32.exe  - when now starting one of the Bat[ch]-files you could force either OGL or DX9. With DX9 I got some graphic issues (black background for the render2texture images).

From my machine:

App Log v1.0
[01:34:15] DBG      | GRAPHICSMANAGER.INITGRAPHICS(): Initializing graphics.
[01:34:15] DBG      |                               : SetGraphicsDriver "OpenGL".
[01:34:16] DBG      |                               : Initialized graphics with "OpenGL".
[01:34:16] DBG      |                               : Initialized virtual graphics (for optional letterboxes).
[01:34:16] LOAD     | TREGISTRYLOADER.LOADFROMXML: file 'config/gui.xml' not found or invalid.
[01:34:16] LOAD     |                            : file 'config/hud.xml' not found or invalid.
[01:34:16] DBG      | SOUNDMANAGER.SETAUDIOENGINE(): initialized with engine "AUTOMATIC".
[01:34:16] LOAD     | TEVENTMANAGER.INIT(): OK
[01:34:16] DBG      | PLAYMUSICORPLAYLIST: GetDigAudioStream from Playlist "default". Also set current playlist to it.
[01:34:16] DBG      |                    : start activeMusicChannel

and

[01:33:51] LOAD     | TAPP.APPLYAPPARGUMENTS(): Manual Override of renderer: OpenGL
loaded profile: Granddad
1440x810
[01:33:51] DBG      | GRAPHICSMANAGER.INITGRAPHICS(): Initializing graphics.
[01:33:51] DBG      |                               : SetGraphicsDriver "OpenGL".
[01:33:51] DBG      |                               : Initialized graphics with "OpenGL".
[01:33:51] DBG      |                               : Initialized virtual graphics (for optional letterboxes).
Document ~config/gui.xml~ not found.
[01:33:51] LOAD     | TREGISTRYLOADER.LOADFROMXML: file 'config/gui.xml' not found or invalid.
Document ~config/hud.xml~ not found.
[01:33:51] LOAD     |                            : file 'config/hud.xml' not found or invalid.
[01:33:51] DBG      | SOUNDMANAGER.SETAUDIOENGINE(): initialized with engine "AUTOMATIC".
Loaded assets
[01:33:51] LOAD     | TEVENTMANAGER.INIT(): OK
[01:33:51] DBG      | PLAYMUSICORPLAYLIST: GetDigAudioStream from Playlist "default". Also set current playlist to it.
[01:33:51] DBG      |                    : start activeMusicChannel

The message in the cmd32.exe window says (and I don't know if this is in any way relevant):

Starting Trick or Sweets in mode "OpenGL" ...
TDigAudioStream.GetChannel() failed to CueMusic

This happens even if I run TrickOrSweets_Win32_DIRECTX9

BasicBoy
--

Derron

Could you download it again (the _fixed...) thing from the initial post?

It should contain "res/gfx/sunburst.png" and "config/gui.xml" (which your log states to not be able to find...).
I hope it just EAV'd on yours because of the missing image -- the image was not drawn here, because my game profile already "deactivated it" (have seen the item before).

Meanwhile I will visit bed and wife ... 2:45 here and in 4-5hrs the little one will be awake, ready for kindergarten.

bye
Ron

BasicBoy

Quote from: Derron on November 01, 2017, 01:41:39
Could you download it again (the _fixed...) thing from the initial post?

Same problem as before (gets as far as "WELCOME", then when I click to continue I get the EAV).

I can confirm the existence of "config/gui.xml", but sadly not "res/gfx/sunburst.png" which seems to be missing.

BasicBoy.
--

NRJ

Good luck to all, downloaded all the game entries and will decide whose game is the best to vote for, after playing the game.  :D
IF YOU CAN DREAM IT,  YOU CAN DO IT...

http://www.nksoftgames.blogspot.com

Derron

@ BasicBoy (and others who downloaded)

I am ashamed to say: the fixed link was outdated ... when changing download url I just pasted the new one over the old one - but this wysiwyg-editor here just replaced the "printed text" and not the actual link behind. So it displayed "gamezworld.de/files/..." while it downloaded from my other host "digidea.de/files" (which contained the old download).
(I myself needed a while to find that out - downloaded, sunburst.png missing ... uploaded again, downloaded again ... still missing, checked archive before upload and it contained it...).

Seems I am more the non-wysiwyg-just-bbcode-type of forum user.

In short: download my "TrickOrSweets_v0.1_fixed.7z" again.

bye
Ron

RonTek

Happy Halloween and Good Luck to all! Lots of cool entries. :)