Code a game competition - Aug - Oct 2017 - £500 worth of prizes

Started by Qube, August 09, 2017, 01:29:39

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Quote10.6 thats snow leopard! circa 2011!!!!
At work we have electronic equipment that does its job perfectly fine for more than 25 years. It's a whole ton more reliable than the crap served up in todays times.

Gone are the days when people accept good quality eh. Always need the 'latest and greatest'.

A: 'This computer is pretty cool'
B: 'meh it's out of date - id get a new one'
A: 'But there's nothing wrong with this one'
B: 'Sure there is, it's old. And the company have released much newer ones now'
A: 'Does my existing stuff work on the new one?'
B: 'Oh no! You need to redo everything'
A: 'But why? This is working perfectly ok'
B: 'Because that's the way it is'
A: 'Does it do anything that my last one doesn't do?'
B: '*sigh*'

:P
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Derron

It's like 2011... hey my whole computer is from 2011 too. Also Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard are running smoother than newer OS in virtual environments. Should really replace it with something more productive, less energy consuming, bigger woman-acceptance-factor ...
Seriously: I planned to buy a used mac just to be able to compile for mac users. But guess how many (potential) users of TVTower complaint about a non-64-bit app. For now I even only know 3 people using a Mac to play it - but about 10 using Linux. Of course I do not know if only mac and linux users give feedback but the big bunch is using windows - and they are fine with 32bit.

Monkey2 is not my language as it contains stuff I just do not need for these game thingies. Even doing things in monkey were cumbersome at least. Not to talk about case-sensitivity... which is a no-go for rapid prototyping - especially with the editors available. I code my BlitzMax-things in Geany but could do that with Notepad (+ command line) too. No need to think about "DrawSubImageRect vs DrawSubimageRect" and the likes. Does monkey2 contain modules for playing streamed audio? Even monkey only had just one channel to output audio data (or was that the diddy-framework?) needed to hack it a bit to allow crossfading multiple sound streams into another. For BlitzMax there are plenty of modules doing the job - and luckily Brucey is lurking around keeping things working if they really break apart (and are of use for him). But hey, do not want to derail that thread with m2-talks.

If NG is not working for you - and you are interested in getting it running (I assume it _should_work_ as Brucey is using a Mac too) open up a thread (or guide me to one) and we could try to make it run.

If there is someone out having an "old mac" lying around, not caring about energy consumption: build up a "community build bot", install monkey, m2, agk, bmx, bmxng ... and if there is one needing a mac-compile ... voila. Think that would be a nifty service (not paid as there are not enough users lurking around here).

@ sound
Yes, I am aware of stereo, mono ... and the likes. There is no need to make panning or other features as my sound manager is already capable of positioning audio. For the sake of simplicity I just use "simple sfx" which is positioned in the center compared to a sound position corresponding to the screen position of an entity. A similar thing is used in TVTower already. I also only normalized some sound files because they were "too silent". Working with "audacity" is nothing I do not know nd it is easy enough for me to achieve the desired effects: changing speed, pitch, cut/edit, fading.

@ graphics
I am also aware of some sprites not being properly aligned (scores on the hud) but also this was something I have done in the last 2 hrs until deadline.

bye
Ron

BasicBoy

@ Dwapook

I was determined to complete Halloween Candy Rescue - and I just did  :D

I actually got bitten quite a lot though?

It's a fun game, well done.  I can't help thinking 'Dawn Of The Dead' when I play it.  :)

BasicBoy.
--

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Dwapook

Quote from: BasicBoy on November 07, 2017, 07:10:55
@ Dwapook

I was determined to complete Halloween Candy Rescue - and I just did  :D

I actually got bitten quite a lot though?

It's a fun game, well done.  I can't help thinking 'Dawn Of The Dead' when I play it.  :)

BasicBoy.
--

Thanks! I liked your game too!
x.X; Eh.. Yeah, I fixed the bite counter glitch and made some updates based on feedback just for the sake of it.. I'm not gonna make a separate thread for this game or probably bother to update it again, so will just post it here..
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lRxxZUl7iNkHRFOcM6yrfp-wZL9hpeAK/view?usp=sharing