What happened to Blitzbasic

Started by Amanda Dearheart, August 02, 2017, 00:49:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Xaron

Rooster

@meems
I have to disagree with you about BiltzMax and OOP.
I got started with programing on BM, and with OOP I've apparently started going that way naturally.

So I wouldn't say that OOP was a wrong move for BM, you can still do every thing by hand. I just don't like hunting down a bunch of globals every time I change something.

meems

@Rooster
> I wouldn't say that OOP was a wrong move for BM
Then we agree, OOP didn't ruin BMax, because it was low level OOP, and optional. Going OOP was a wrong turn, that would have bad consequences if taken to its Java-esk extreme, which he did : making nearly everything OO in monkey, was a sledgehammer for walnuts wrt hobby game making.

> I just don't like hunting down a bunch of globals every time I change something.
Thats no reason to go OOP. Stick your globals in a typedef. If you mean global functions then I assume u are working on very large projects with over 500 functions that u can't keep track of, in which case OOP is viable.

IanMartin

It's kind of ironic that more OOP was added in a language intended to support platforms that mostly host the simplest types of games: HTML, flash, Android, iOS. 

Is there a case as to why you need or want OOP when you're making stuff like Flappy Bird, Candy Crush, or Cut the Rope? 

Platfinity (made with BlitzMax) on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365440/Platfinity/

Steve Elliott

It's kind of ironic that more OOP was added in a language intended to support platforms that mostly host the simplest types of games: HTML, flash, Android, iOS.

lol that's just Mark ignoring his market, as usual.

I still approach a problem in a procedural way, quickly get the routine working, then move to OOP when I have working code.  I then put it into a more rigid OOP framework.  That's the problem with OOP, you really have to have a good picture of how things all fit together immediately - then implement.  But with game development, ideas and structures change throughout the development process.

But when you do have a good OOP structure, things come together very quickly.

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rooster

Quote from: meems on September 15, 2017, 17:33:15
@Rooster
> I wouldn't say that OOP was a wrong move for BM
Then we agree, OOP didn't ruin BMax, because it was low level OOP, and optional. Going OOP was a wrong turn, that would have bad consequences if taken to its Java-esk extreme, which he did : making nearly everything OO in monkey, was a sledgehammer for walnuts wrt hobby game making.
Yeah, I tried to look up tutorials for Java once, the "hello world" example confused me to no end.
Quote from: meems on September 15, 2017, 17:33:15
> I just don't like hunting down a bunch of globals every time I change something.
Thats no reason to go OOP. Stick your globals in a typedef. If you mean global functions then I assume u are working on very large projects with over 500 functions that u can't keep track of, in which case OOP is viable.
Lol! My project is nowhere near that big. It just helps me keep my code more tidy and flexible.
That said, I've been using my game as a way to learn programing, so it's messy anyways.

Rooster

Quote from: Steve Elliott on September 15, 2017, 17:50:51

lol that's just Mark ignoring his market, as usual.

I still approach a problem in a procedural way, quickly get the routine working, then move to OOP when I have working code.  I then put it into a more rigid OOP framework.  That's the problem with OOP, you really have to have a good picture of how things all fit together immediately - then implement.  But with game development, ideas and structures change throughout the development process.

But when you do have a good OOP structure, things come together very quickly.
Yeah, planing does seem to be the key.

Steve Elliott

Yes, but game development is very fluid - plans change!
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rooster

Quote from: Steve Elliott on September 15, 2017, 18:09:02
Yes, but game development is very fluid - plans change!
They sure do.
I need to have a plan though. :P

meems

>Yes, but game development is very fluid - plans change!

Exactly. Program structure resists change and you don't know what ideas you might have tomorrow. Also I simply don't want to plan my code structure in my hobby programming. I find OOP and planning program structure to be backend clutter that ties me down and prevents getting more frontend code done.

Chroma

I know this is an old post but hey. I pledged too but finally realized I didn't want to switch every couple of years to the 'new' language. MonkeyX was alright, but Monkey2 seems to be a rehash with some changed syntax and I don't feel like jumping through that hoop again. These days I use Javascript and Pixi JS. And release through Cordova. I also mess about with Construct 3 for quick prototyping.

3DzForMe

Blitz basic still works, available for free these days to. Yeah, I used MonkeyX, just the HTML5 variant (despite purchasing the full thing doh!)

Code in whatever fulfills your needs.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Derron

Monkey x is free ...no need to limit to html5.
Of course you would nowerdays use cerberus x.

Bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Of course.... Hmmm, if you're on a 64 bit machine. Not moi, yet.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

zxretrosoft

Quote from: Naughty Alien on August 02, 2017, 02:01:23
..hi Amanda..this is what happened , roughly..

-B3D community asking for upgraded 3D engine for a long time, they were willing to pay even 500$ for it
-Mark responded with making new language called BMX
-Community still asking for 3D module for BMX and willing to pay for it and suggesting to Mark to do some advertising
-Mark responded with MAX3D which he left in to abyss of trial and error and left it open source
-Community asking for fixing BMX (Linux/OSX)and 3D module and willing to pay for it and again alerting about advertising and competitors
-Mark decided to make new language called Monkey
-B3D/BMX community was wtf'ed and new Monkey community was happy and growing with their paid new language
-One morning Mark decided that he want to make some money, so he killed Monkey and decided to start again new language
-And in order to secure success, Mark decided to kill well established brand and entire community which was willing to pay all the time, in favor of brand new language still called monkey+something
-Most of us ended up wtf'ed here and wondering same as you just did...so no..your question is not stupid at all

Note:
Anyone else is free to add some potential missing lines here..

Brilliant summary!  8)

I will never understand Mark. He could keep developing the great BLITZ brand or the nice brand MonkeyX.
Now the community is crumbling, I don't want to re-learn Monkey2 myself, in addition, the brand is rather strange, unsympathetic.

Mark is a genius, with a totally desperate marketing feeling...  :-\