What happened to Blitzbasic

Started by Amanda Dearheart, August 02, 2017, 00:49:08

Previous topic - Next topic

RonTek

I have not followed the complete history of Blitz Research, but from what I gathered I see NaughtyAlien's steps there to be on point. I don't get why he has to create MX2 as a language as C/C++ is a standard. It's true that the 3d module looks like a "been there, done that" stuff and I can surely name a lot of far better alternatives.

Having read the post, it seems he's not that interested in mobile feature and development so that's a big letdown.

Steve Elliott

lol @ NA, exactly right those 6 steps.  :o
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Naughty Alien

QuoteHaving read the post, it seems he's not that interested in mobile feature and development so that's a big letdown.

..of course..that require author to escape loop presented before, which means, relatively speaking, regular updates of language/tools, as mobile hardware is dynamic and one need to keep catching up with it, and that is not something to hope for (how looooooong BMX-ers were crying out loud for BMAX to be fixed on Linux??, and it never happened..) ..

dawlane

Quote(how looooooong BMX-ers were crying out loud for BMAX to be fixed on Linux??, and it never happened..) ..
If I can find the post on the wasted archives, then you would get an inkling for the reason of why it never got any attention. It was during one of those Window vs Linux topics that became so popular when Windows 10 was released. It cropped up from someone in the loop, and had something to do with basing it on sales of Windows and OSX. I did say that I only bought BlitzMax because it covered the three platforms to save me the effort to learn three different APIs, two languages (C++/Objective-C) and three different development environments.

When you think about it, selling a product as cross platform for three operating and only two of them work as expected could have had legal repercussions in those territories where sales of goods and services are enforced.

As of now I'm very reluctant to part with any cash to purchase a licence or donate via patron to any software company or individual to work on software that could vanish over-night. I've been stung a few times now.

MikeHart

Quote from: dawlane on August 04, 2017, 11:43:39
As of now I'm very reluctant to part with any cash to purchase a licence or donate via patron to any software company or individual to work on software that could vanish over-night. I've been stung a few times now.

Understandable. Lucky for you, there are nice oss libs that help you in the game creation area if you don't want to reinvent the wheel.

3DzForMe

I keep coming back to this thread, what companies provide lifetime support for products for nowt - not a lot.

I suppose I'm almost nostalgic for the stuff I achieved with Blitz3D. I achieved some stuff in BMax also as an indie with Grey Alien's framework. Also close to something in the HTML5 flavour of the Monkey IDE.

I know Dawlane invested a lot of effort on the Linux side, if I remember rightly Dawlane provided a lot of help in the forums with scripts to get BMax doing the business. It is unfortunate BMax lines of support are also gone, and whatever issues there was with it in Linux will not be resolved.

Yep, its a shame that the BBasic forums are gone, its great the archives are hosted - every dog has its day. Suppose the real 'acid' test will be will stuff still be produced with BBasic stuff and heralded, who knows.

Monkey2 is in the offing, I wish it all the best - however my coding mojo is somewhat depleted of late. Happy Coding whatever tool you use  8)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Steve Elliott

It's early days for me, but AGK2 is seeming like a worthy successor to Blitz 3D all-be-it a multi-platform version.

I'm liking it so far, but using Tier 2 (C++) rather than Tier 1 (their version of BASIC).

A good example by Mike:        http://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=3
And Qube, both using BASIC:  http://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=25
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Naughty Alien

..yup..I agree 100%..AGK2 really does look very nice and so far it seems to be very simple solution for what i need..im already writing GUI for it..lol..

Steve Elliott

Good luck with your project na  :)

It's got my coding mojo back, I'll write a game with it and hopefully I still like it.  Still working things out.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Naughty Alien

..thanks man..this one will be something interesting (as far as i can tell) story wise and hot topic nowdays just set to some other 'world' :) and graphics style is also interesting mix of 2D and 3D..we will see how it goes..and this time is standalone , means, 1 game = whole story..not episodic...its tiresome to chase people after one episode is over..huh..

Chroma

I agree.  Instead of creating an entirely new language every time, just keep making the existing one better.  I mean if C was done the same way we'd be using Z by now?  I think blitzmax should have been the flagship language and should have been continually upgraded.  It was (is) awesome.  I used to use blitzmax all the time.  I like Monkey too but it was definitely aimed at the mobile market.

But at this point I can't keep chasing Mark's latest language. I loved him to death and he's an inspiration to me personally. I've been using Unity and Construct 2 for making desktop and mobile games.

BTW, if Mark DID make one more language and say "this is it boys, I'm going to stay with this one and keep making it kick ass", I'd of course use it.  Mark's a really smart guy and I do believe he hasn't created his magnum opus language yet.  :o

I don't believe Blitz3D works on Windows 10?  Can anyone confirm that?

Steve Elliott

But at this point I can't keep chasing Mark's latest language.

I would never use one of Mark's Languages again...He has no idea of customer service, does what he wants, and ignores his customers requirements.  He got away with that attitude for some time - but not anymore.  There are many other options now.  His priorities are to write his version of Java, with 2d graphics and a shit IDE...Maybe you will get a complete 3d engine at some point...and a shit IDE...But we all remember the non event that was the 3d engine for BlitzMax...And broken Linux support...Then abandoning mobile devices too!

I would recommend AGK (Application Game Kit).  I'm using a world class IDE in Visual Studio 2017 Community and an industry standard C++ Language.  If C++ isn't for you, there's a Blitz BASIC 2 equivalent, with shaders, normal maps and it runs on many systems - from Windows, Linux, Mac to all mobile devices...Even Raspberry pi!  And a friendly community forum.

https://www.appgamekit.com/

macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

LineOf7s

Quote from: Chroma on August 27, 2017, 19:01:53I don't believe Blitz3D works on Windows 10?  Can anyone confirm that?

In my experience, Blitz3D works fine on Win10. 

If it's not already installed, upon first run of a Blitz3D application Win10 will initiate an install of DirectPlay, which people may find undesirable, but there are a variety of methods for dealing with that.
"Life's biggest obstacles are your greatest opportunities to excel"

Pakz

On the laptop with windows 10 that I bought a month or so ago I tried to install blitz 3d from itch. It installs but it does not run. It gives me a runtime.dll error.  So for me it is broken.

LineOf7s

Quote from: Pakz on August 28, 2017, 10:34:47
On the laptop with windows 10 that I bought a month or so ago I tried to install blitz 3d from itch. It installs but it does not run. It gives me a runtime.dll error.  So for me it is broken.

That is completely true... UNLESS you follow the instructions on the page you downloaded it from, or employ one of the solutions I linked to in my previous post.

If you do any of those, it works just fine.
"Life's biggest obstacles are your greatest opportunities to excel"