What happened to Blitzbasic

Started by Amanda Dearheart, August 02, 2017, 00:49:08

Previous topic - Next topic

NightShift

As Simon hosts now the official Blitzmax download. Will he do anything with it? Further development or what?

Xaron

Further development is done by Brucey.

ThickO

Swore off Blitz products due to the poor documentation of Blitz Max, never looked back. I knew the end was near when Mr. Sibly made the statement
" I thought being in business for myself meant I could do what I want".
I've been in business for myself for decades and guess what, I'm still doing what my customers want. If you want income that is.
BRL treated its customers like fanboys, grateful for the scraps it doled out.
3D makes my head hurt...

Rick Nasher

Laughing my pants of here Naughty!  ;D

You nailed the wtf feeling perfectly.

But really it's sad that someone so brilliant that he could bring us BlitzBasic on the Amiga and Blitz3D, seems to have really lost touch with reality so much.

If he would have only remembered the golden rules 'Never change a winning team' and 'Customer is king' then all had been fine. He'd now been in a flourishing business with employees doing the hard boring work, making easy money while sipping pina colada on a hot sunny beach with hula girls making wind using palm tree leaves and the only monkeys around would be in the trees, not on his computer, on his back or in his head.  :P

(-Time to choose between the red and the blue pill..-)

therevills

Quote from: Xaron on August 02, 2017, 08:59:47
In case you wonder. Mark has now deleted my answer plus banned my second account which I created to answer as well and closed that thread. If you want to read what I wrote:

That's quite strange... I wonder if it wasnt Mark directly, maybe it was Simon in one of his moods again...

Steve Elliott

Sad times, I remember the Blitz Community with fondness. But equally sad that Mark lost his way too.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

markcwm

Sorry to hear about your ban Xaron. It does seem very odd behavior for him, on blitzbasic.com almost always people who were banned were starting flamewars and being nasty, I never saw him ban anyone for having a different opinion. Perhaps if you email him in a week or so when he's maybe calmed down and ask to be unbanned?
QuoteAs Simon hosts now the official Blitzmax download. Will he do anything with it? Further development or what?
Brucey made Blitzmax NG (next generation) it's like Blitzmax 2. Installing Blitzmax 1/vanilla/legacy/OS is straight-forward but to rebuild modules you need to install GCC, the first 2 steps of my install NG tutorial tells you how to set up GCC. If you want to install NG the easy way go to the releases and get the latest for your OS, then just "build all modules" it should work - if you want the latest NG source then follow the whole tutorial. For releases anything from v0.70 on is stable.

Steve Elliott

If Brucey comes here and supports his version of Max, then great!

If not, then for me, people should move on from the Blitz Languages, after BRL's behavior in recent years.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

markcwm

Brucey does use Syntaxbomb, for example http://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3297.0.html a bug fix despite the fact that he's busy with real life stuff at the moment.

I would never stop using a good tool just because I didn't like the authors, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.

Kryzon

I wish Floyd popped around here

Xaron

Quote from: markcwm on August 03, 2017, 00:15:42Perhaps if you email him in a week or so when he's maybe calmed down and ask to be unbanned?

Thanks. I've mailed him 3 times in the last 4 weeks but never got a reply anymore. That was before the ban and my mails were just related to our continuation of Monkey X where I asked him if he's fine with renaming it and so on. Never insulted him, that line with "that there are virtually thousands of better options for desktop alone" was probably my harshest one.

I guess I was on his ignore list even before. I have had quite some good mail conservation with him in the days back - with Simon too btw as we wanted to offer Mark quite some money to take over Monkey quite before he made it completely open source anyway.

I just don't get it. He could swim in money. I always had the impression that he doesn't care about money but then on the one hand he begs for it - for some donations and complains about hosting costs (really? THAT was the reason to close BB.com?) and on the other hand when someone wants to give him a bunch of money he refuses it. Strange guy.

New Star Soccer, Crypt of the Necrodancer, 2DARK, all made with Monkey. Those guys are millionaires by now and Mark lives from donations?

edit: Looks like I can still do comments on his wordpress site, only the forum is locked.  ;D

@therevills: Ya, I guess it could had been Simon.

markcwm

Hey Xaron,

well if I was to hazard a guess then either Mark doesn't like you and this was just an excuse to remove you, or more likely because you picked up MX and now he's struggling with MX2 and wishes he hadn't dropped MX. I do think that was a bad move, he should just have closed the Blitz site and kept selling MX for a while. Maybe he didn't want to sell MX to you as he wanted to open source it since Blitzmax did well from that, it's now in much better shape than if he had kept selling it and doing the odd OS update. But this is all just my speculation, I don't know him other than what he's posted but yeah, good luck with Cerberus-X.

Naughty Alien

@ Xaron
My piece of advice based on what i have said already is, drop it..guy who decided to remove entire community, which exists for a long, willing to pay and asking him for years, about product he now kind a doing, see no loss in kicking one guy out...pattern with that guy is very clear and it does repeat without failure...and it is, algorithmically, something like this

(1) Setup new project(language)
(2) Make folks excited
(3) Supply some info about amazing progress here and there(crowd goes wild)
(4) release it in final form (as he sees fit, not user base, which is why every single IDE came out of these languages looks dated and same)
(5) once community start asking more of fixing this or that(usually reasonable development requests) , get pissed off, release it for free/open source
(6) goto 1

Xaron

Thanks guys for your kind words. Just for info, I sent Mark a mail to apologize for that simple sentence, but - as expected - no answer.

MikeHart

Apologize for what? You didn't do anything.