What happened to Blitzbasic

Started by Amanda Dearheart, August 02, 2017, 00:49:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda Dearheart

This is basically only the second time on this site.
So forgive me if I ask some stupid questions or sound like I don't know what I'm doing.
But what the hell happened to the Blitz basic website?

Last month I logged on there and almost everything was gone except the Home, News and Feature gallery page.
This month, I try to look it up and my browser reports an DNS error.

Can anyone out there update me?

--- Amanda
Prepare to be assimilated !  Resistance is futile!

Naughty Alien

..hi Amanda..this is what happened , roughly..

-B3D community asking for upgraded 3D engine for a long time, they were willing to pay even 500$ for it
-Mark responded with making new language called BMX
-Community still asking for 3D module for BMX and willing to pay for it and suggesting to Mark to do some advertising
-Mark responded with MAX3D which he left in to abyss of trial and error and left it open source
-Community asking for fixing BMX (Linux/OSX)and 3D module and willing to pay for it and again alerting about advertising and competitors
-Mark decided to make new language called Monkey
-B3D/BMX community was wtf'ed and new Monkey community was happy and growing with their paid new language
-One morning Mark decided that he want to make some money, so he killed Monkey and decided to start again new language
-And in order to secure success, Mark decided to kill well established brand and entire community which was willing to pay all the time, in favor of brand new language still called monkey+something
-Most of us ended up wtf'ed here and wondering same as you just did...so no..your question is not stupid at all

Note:
Anyone else is free to add some potential missing lines here..

markcwm

Naughty Alien lol. Going back to the creation of Blitzmax, like she's been away that long! :P

Okay, Naughty links the death of Blitz to making yet another language and dropping the last one. This is true Mark Sibly could have done that better but I understand why he "went back to the drawing board" computers change all the time and you've got to keep up with it, Blitzmax2 would have had problems with things like pointers so he made MonkeyX which lots of people love. I think bb.com died because the Blitz community didn't donate enough to pay for it, in an era where software is increasingly low cost these thing will happen.

The good news is Brucey is for some years now Blitzmax headquarters, Kfprimm is even trying to make Blitz3d NG, I am working on Openb3d GL 2+ wrapper upgrade to Minib3d, Mark Sibly is now making Mojo3d (GL 3+) in MonkeyX2. Skid has backed up blitzbasic.com database to wasted.nz so nothing is lost and life continues on syntaxbomb.com by Qube and https://www.cerberus-x.com by Xaron and MikeHart and Brucey is working on a new Max site.

dawlane

Naughty forgot to mention......

• It was repeatedly mentioned that the documentation was was p*ss poor after Blitz3D and the Guildhall Leisure fiasco. 
  • Many thought the name Monkey, MonkeyX and Monkey2 made the software sound like a joke, and that using different style naming, i.e no Blitz in the title would make it less obvious that it was a BRL product and thus not stand out from the crowd of all the other stuff out there with the name Monkey in it's title.
  • That a few complained about the compile times of Monkey, no GUI module for Monkey, the fact that there was no real control on how the project was built and you had to jump through hoops to set things up and had to use the underlying compiler tools to make the necessary changes so you could deploy your creations, unless your game was called MonekyGame.

Xaron

Haha well ya, thanks for those answers, made me smile this morning.

Apparently the only place left is now Monkey 2, but looks like their forums are down now as well  :D
http://monkeycoder.co.nz/forums

Everything's said by NA, couldn't have said it better.

edit: Ok, no. That place works, but he has banned me.  :P  :D  :D

Guess why? Because of that:
http://monkeycoder.co.nz/forums/topic/we-or-i-need-iap-community-funded/#post-9652

dawlane

Quotebut looks like their forums are down now as well
Works for me.

Xaron

Yeah have edited it. He has banned me. Even though I patreon him, bought several licenses for all products... Oh well... He cannot take criticism. All I wrote was:

http://monkeycoder.co.nz/forums/topic/we-or-i-need-iap-community-funded/#post-9608

You could still use Monkey 1 for that.

dawlane

QuoteHe has banned me. Even though I patreon him. Oh well... He cannot take criticism.
If I knew that some one was supporting my work financially; then I would at least listen to what they have to say.

I barely pay much attention to Monkey2, or anything to do with it after the BlitzMax and MonkeyX problems.

Naughty Alien

QuoteIf I knew that some one was supporting my work financially; then I would at least listen to what they have to say.

..that guy has lost his direction long ago..banning people who put cash in to your pocket is plain stupid..as i have said before, he is indeed brilliant software writer, but social/business skills are null (i have been optimistic here)..

Xaron

Thanks guys, I mean seriously, was I too harsh? This was not my intention actually.

Xaron

In case you wonder. Mark has now deleted my answer plus banned my second account which I created to answer as well and closed that thread. If you want to read what I wrote:

MikeHart

Quote from: Xaron on August 02, 2017, 08:27:32
Thanks guys, I mean seriously, was I too harsh? This was not my intention actually.

Nope, they just expressed they late and typical elitery nazi like behaviour. Hey, don't be upset. Mark thought MX would be forgotten and the sources would lay there dead. He seems to be upset that we actually doing things.

TomToad

------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

muruba

I think mobile is something that mx actually figured out. Throw desktop on top of it - and you have a winner. Using mx just for desktop is insane - there are better alternatives with 21 century tools out there (java/c++/c#, even js - as much as I hate js). And yes I remember I asked on mx forum what is the future monetisation strategy as "100 bucks per forever" approach didn't feel solid enough. Monkey name was also a bit of joke in itself...  :P

3DzForMe

I've achieved some pretty sweet data parsing stuff within the html5 target on monkey which does desktop as well as mobile targets. Not sure I agree about your point that x, you and z are 'better' for desktop, depends on the task at hand.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1