Bounties vs Competition/Popularity Contests

Started by RonTek, July 11, 2017, 00:42:17

Previous topic - Next topic

RonTek

I did suspect this sort of thing would happen, so instead of having popularity contests and game competitions, why not just offer or reward bounties to improve whatever blitz products, which this community is all about in general.

The process could be at least one free open source mod/tool/asset to qualify or participate as a bounty coder and then suggest or post a mod idea/fix to be voted. The final decision or moderation will be on Qube or whoever is interested/fund on the idea to start working on the mod and/or release it open source if it is a work in progress.

..and perhaps not limited to mods/libraries but maybe game frameworks/small templates as well as or other forms like game art/assets.

Would you guys agree? just a suggestion.  :)

MichaelUK

Yue

What I think is that most users of this community are not programmers, but we pretend to be using Blitz products. Those who know how to program, counted with the fingers of the hand do not think they are interested, because it would have to be a profitable business, and seeing that the father of Blitz products released everything, simply because it was no longer a business, I doubt anyone wants Take this seriously

RonTek

Thanks MichaelUK. :) I mean, it could be a mod, software tool or some fixes. This way the frameworks can be updated, rewarding the devs for their efforts and would attract new users.

RonTek

Quote from: Yue on July 11, 2017, 00:47:37

What I think is that most users of this community are not programmers, but we pretend to be using Blitz products. Those who know how to program, counted with the fingers of the hand do not think they are interested, because it would have to be a profitable business, and seeing that the father of Blitz products released everything, simply because it was no longer a business, I doubt anyone wants Take this seriously

I don't think so Yue, and sorry to hear if you think that way. Code is still code regardless of language or syntax and we still have to go through the process of debugging and bug fixing for starters. :-)

There's also the C/C++ (and C#, JS, Java, AS3 for MX) source code part of these platforms since they are all open source now and the list goes on and on.. :)

Yue

It's just what I think, nothing more. In the case of products, the point of view of a professional programmer is not profitable. I repeat, it's just what I think, but I hope someone does something to respect.

RonTek

Quote from: Yue on July 11, 2017, 01:33:54
It's just what I think, nothing more. In the case of products, the point of view of a professional programmer is not profitable. I repeat, it's just what I think, but I hope someone does something to respect.

No worries Yue and it seems this is something that is related from past experiences with Blitz. I'm not in the loop with what has happened but I did read quite a few info. I'm on and off with Blitz and just started doing some stuff on MonkeyX.

Of course opinions are always welcome and this post is just a suggestion. :)

markcwm

I was going to criticize this idea but I changed my mind, it was along the lines of award things completed instead of advertise things needed. I think either is probably better than paying for most useful poster.

We could just have a bingo and be done with it. :P

Brucey

What I think is that most users of this community are not programmers, but we pretend to be using Blitz products.

I'm pretty sure that if you are writing programs using a programming language, you could be considered a programmer.

My stuff is open source. Does that mean it is something not to be taken seriously?

RonTek

Quote from: markcwm on July 12, 2017, 02:01:27
We could just have a bingo and be done with it. :P

Haha good one markcwm.

Yes, it should be in a working version or with a demo. This is the same idea as what bountysource.com is doing with rewarding fixes or new features on foss projects.

RonTek

Quote from: Brucey on July 12, 2017, 11:13:18
What I think is that most users of this community are not programmers, but we pretend to be using Blitz products.

I'm pretty sure that if you are writing programs using a programming language, you could be considered a programmer.

Yes, I couldn't agree more.