Adobe Scam Artists

Started by ENAY, July 10, 2017, 02:17:13

Previous topic - Next topic

ENAY

Sooo, heads up for everyone. Latest Flash does it's usual "update" via an installer. This time there was literally an "ok" button, and you click ok and a panel pops up showing that it is installing flash AND McAfee Anti virus malware crap. It's all or nothing.

So just a heads up, McAfee WILL install, and there is nothing you can do about it except uninstall as soon as it finishes / find a better installer.

Qube

As soon as the OSX side of this installs any crap without asking then Flash is off my system for good. If this is happening then it's the final death knell of Flash pushing itself via paid sponsorship. I know on Windows that McAfee was an additional option for years and if it's now forced then that is a very self harming bad practice.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

MikeHart

Bad move. But hey, you can't blame them for trying.

muruba

I remember Java installer was doing something similar... installing some toolbar

Rooster

Yet another piece of software I'll be avoiding.
I don't think they support Linux anymore though, so not really a problem for me. ;D

Kryzon

Thanks for the warning.
Luckily I had uninstalled Flash a few days ago already, almost had no use for it besides watching the live demos in the occasional old programming tutorials or something. A lot of web games use(d) it, as well.

What made me delete it at last was that update popup. It's so annoying. The message is always "security fixes and performance improvements", for every single update.

Well, why don't you just write a performant and secure software at once and then avoid all those updates? Maybe the team responsible for it needs a reason to stay employed, so they change some variable names and say "okay, let's call this a new version".
If there's so many open holes in your software that you need to have several updates for it, maybe you should rewrite it from the start and take a different approach?

Rick Nasher

Thanks for the warning. I used to do TechSupport for Adobe for 2 years(if there is such a thing) so I avoid Adobe SW like the plague ;D , but GF still uses it so that's something to keep an eye on.

Flash is a well known security hazard, that's one of the reasons why it's being fazed out, besides it being redundant due to HTML5 and other stuff. Perhaps Adobe came to the same conclusion and don't trust it being part of their products, hence the adding of McAfee, hehehe
I'm happy it's not Kasparski though...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-11/kaspersky-lab-has-been-working-with-russian-intelligence