East West Sound Libraries

Started by Qube, June 10, 2017, 21:14:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

I bought the below back in December and February and only just getting around to having a proper play with them.

The Hollywood libraries are pretty decent and hopefully I'll get some time to create a few tunes with them.

Anyone else had any experience with EW libraries and have any tips setting up the strings section?
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Rooster

How much did they cost?
Could you post a link?

Qube

QuoteCould you post a link?
I got them from http://www.soundsonline.com

QuoteHow much did they cost?
They were both on offer when I bought them. The Hollywood Orchestra and Ministry of Rock were buy one get one free.

Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Rooster

Eek! It's going to awhile before I can afford that.

MikeHart

I got the Ministry of Rock collection back in the days. Super stuff but my system right now can't use it.

Btw. whcih DAW are you using? Mine is FL Studio.

LineOf7s

I've played with a bunch of East West libraries in the past (pirated versions, to see whether I could do anything with them to justify the expense) and they're pretty schmick.  I hope someday to find myself in a position to pick up a Symphonic Orchestra or something, but without the promise of some sort of income coming from it it's a bit of a stretch, really.

Also, FL Studio for the win.
"Life's biggest obstacles are your greatest opportunities to excel"

Kryzon

It's been very long since I played with composing. Vienna, EastWest, whatever you end up using will only sound as good as your programming skills (as in, audio programming: sequencing MIDI, controlling velocities and dynamics, choosing the right articulation sounds for each note etc.).

I think the best violin virtual instrument out there (and violin seems to be a difficult instrument to sample properly) is the one from Embertone. You might want to get that to complement your setup if you plan on writing for solo violin:
http://www.embertone.com/instruments/friedlanderviolin.php

Qube

QuoteBtw. whcih DAW are you using? Mine is FL Studio.
I use Renoise 3.1 which is a superb tracker style DAW. https://www.renoise.com

QuoteI think the best violin virtual instrument out there (and violin seems to be a difficult instrument to sample properly) is the one from Embertone
I've not come across that one. I'll have a listen to the demos.

Until the next time.

Qube

QuoteYou might want to get that to complement your setup if you plan on writing for solo violin:
http://www.embertone.com/instruments/friedlanderviolin.php
Holy shit balls.... That is one impressive VSTi - It sounds incredibly real!!!

Until the next time.

Mikey

Qube, I use the East West Libraries.
I set them up using score format. You do not have to use all these but what you use depends upon your sound.

Woodwinds
========
Piccolo
Flute
Oboe
Clarinet
Bassoon

Brass
====
French Horn
Trumpet
Trombone
Tuba

Percussion [unpitched]
========
Cymbals
Triangle
Concert Snare
Concert Bass Drum

Percussion [pitched]
========
Timpani
Glockenspiel
Chimes
Harpsichord
Clavinet
Marimba
Vibraphone
Xylophone
Harmonium
Harp
Piano
Organ

Voices
=====
Soprano
Alto
Tenor
Baritone
Bass
Female Choir
Children's Choir
Male Choir

Strings [picked]
=====
Mandolin
Ukelele
Banjo
Guitar
Bass Guitar

Strings [bowed]
=====
Violin
Viola
Cello
Contrabass

Sorry to see you paid so much for that. East West use to have a free version of their orchestra. It did not have the full accompaniment of instruments however, It may have been more than you needed to use until you were paid for your music.
As far as DAWs are concerned, you should have had friends point you to something called Podium

https://zynewave.com/podium-free/

It's quite a good piece of free software.
There's more. If you need anything else ask.

Qube

QuoteSorry to see you paid so much for that.
I bought the EWSQL when it was on offer and the Hollywood and Ministry of Sound were buy one get one free. So I saved quite a bit over full price.

QuoteIt may have been more than you needed to use until you were paid for your music
Oh, I don't write music professionally. I just write music for my own games / enjoyment. I bought these libraries to update my very ageing Edirol plugin.

Quotehttps://zynewave.com/podium-free/
It's quite a good piece of free software.
Looks interesting but the iLok license for the East West libraries is on my iMac. The DAW I use is Renoise 3.1 as I'm an old fart and love Amiga style trackers.

QuoteI set them up using score format. You do not have to use all these but what you use depends upon your sound.
Thanks for your list. It's quite a beast of a system to get the right matching sounds you want.

Questions :

Are there any particular articulations you've chosen for your strings section?.
Did you have to adjust the volume for blending the sounds together?
I can't find the voices in EWSQL? - Is that because I only have the silver edition?

Until the next time.

Krischan

Quote from: Qube on June 25, 2017, 09:29:25The DAW I use is Renoise 3.1 as I'm an old fart and love Amiga style trackers.

Hehe, me too. I own the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, Hollywood Collection and Symphonic Choirs (all as Gold Editions) for classic music and a lot of more bought and free VSTs for Trance music (like Sylenth1, all Tone2 products, Kontakt and all of the old Arturia Synthies. But I create mostly Intros for a friend but plan to make my own game music or just play for fun. Renoise is cool but has sometimes timing problems with cheaper/free VSTs. But I really prefer it over the piano roll editors. I've even upgraded my RAM to 32GB only because of the EWQL instruments and their random crashes due the RAM limitation.

And you can spend a lot of money for VSTs, even though they were all bought in a sale with huge price reductions.
Kind regards
Krischan

Windows 10 Pro | i7 9700K@ 3.6GHz | RTX 2080 8GB]
Metaverse | Blitzbasic Archive | My Github projects

Mikey

QuoteDid you have to adjust the volume for blending the sounds together?

Not if the sounds all come from the same library. All the sustain articulations are the same volume as well as the others.

QuoteI can't find the voices in EWSQL? - Is that because I only have the silver edition?

I think that you should have choirs and Church Organ. You should also have the full documentation for the Instrument list.

Qube

Ahh, yes, there they are :P - Thanks Mikey. Ive not had long to play with them yet so everything all new.

Until the next time.

Mikey

DO you have the complete PDF manual for EWQLSE? If not I can point you to it.

QuoteAre there any particular articulations you've chosen for your strings section?.

Depending upon the library, a person can get many articulations.
Right now I only have Sustain, Sforzando, Staccato, Pizzicato, FortePiano, and Tremolo.

Using fewer playing styles limits your writing style. Doesn't make your music worse but . . .