Raise hands, who uses Unity?

Started by Xaron, June 10, 2017, 20:19:47

Previous topic - Next topic

playniax

I gave it a quick look, never like it BUT I am going to dig in soon because I want to sell my assets on the Unity store because that is the market to be I guess.

IanMartin

Yeah, the closing of shop and the 'go use Monkey 2 even though it doesn't do what you need or want' thing has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

If Monkey2 turns out to be great, OK, but I have to look at it as something that may disappear at any time.  I don't think I can write code for something I'm trying to sell in a language that may just be 404 one day.  I have hundreds of Bookmarks that now point to the empty BlitzBasic site. 

Platfinity (made with BlitzMax) on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365440/Platfinity/

playniax

QuoteIf Monkey2 turns out to be great

Well, slowly Monkey2 ( 2d ) has turned in something great but I get that some people don't like it. With the exception for Desktop the targets are a b!tch to set up the first time around but even that isn't that hard once you done it. I think that could be improved a lot. Other than that, the language is great! Performance is great! For people saying it's close to C# or whatever, I strongly disagree. Syntax almost the same as BlitzMax. Just a bit more strict which is a good thing once you get used to it and the initiation differs a bit. AGK looks more interesting by the day too as far as specs go but then again, nothing special about the language.

Unity starts to look more interesting for me because we produce assets and tools so I am exploring that right now. One thing though, for the type of game I like to make ( 2d platformers, shooters and arcade types ) nothing beats BRL stuff as far as language and performance goes.

Yes, Mark is a one man show and he can stop developing tommorow but it's all free and open source now so that is no disadvantage to most of the alternatives.

ms62

I don't use Unity because I don't have game producing business. Even if I was in this business, I wouldn't use Unity for strategic reasons. For fun, I like to code my way to the end, so I have eliminated Unity-like products from my options.

About Monkey 2, well, at best, monkey is like C# or Java, or will become. But, when it reaches that level of sophistication, which I thing it already has, then it becomes useless, because the similar tech already exist and is already established. I tried it, the language is good, but I prefer BlitzMax; I like simplicity. Maybe I am naive. Fine, I am.

EdzUp

Having looked at Unity AND MonkeyX2 all I can say is Unity will be here much longer than BRL will be, I do not make that statement lightly. For example:
1) Pledges took a nosedive after impixi changed his so Mark stated he needs to find money somewhere. Unity has big companies using their systems.

2) Unity gets better each new version they don't kill off the community and start again.

3) There is SO much information for Unity all MonkeyX2 has is their site.

So you see Unity you can even get a job using

sphinx

Quote from: EdzUp on October 03, 2017, 17:35:14
Having looked at Unity AND MonkeyX2 all I can say is Unity will be here much longer than BRL will be, I do not make that statement lightly. For example:
1) Pledges took a nosedive after impixi changed his so Mark stated he needs to find money somewhere. Unity has big companies using their systems.

2) Unity gets better each new version they don't kill off the community and start again.

3) There is SO much information for Unity all MonkeyX2 has is their site.

So you see Unity you can even get a job using
Enough said!
Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

ms62

I changed my mind about BlitzMax, I will go with Monkey 2.

Playniax, why not Pyro3D for Monkey 2?

playniax

QuotePlayniax, why not Pyro3D for Monkey 2?

Tempting but first finish my 'roadmap'...

ms62

Pakz

Trying Unity now. Installing was a breeze. I got a tutorial game running right away. I think it installed everything in one go. Not difficult at all. On the lower specced laptop the loading times are a bit slow but on the main laptop I have a ssd.

Looklng at video tutorials now.

There are a lot of books and video's and more.  Lots of users. Impressive showcase.

So far I think I might have found something I would actually use a lot. Maybe it is easier to create games with Unity then with languages with codeeditor alone.

It might take a while before I can decide if I will use it from now on. But first impressions are good.

Steve Elliott

After many temptations, I'm still not convinced to follow the dark side.   ;)  It's just not for me.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Dabz

I was moving some code over to MX2 that I've had sitting for a while, and as it happens, due to typically my luck, MS decides to put the prospect of wrapping up MX2 on the table.

I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt, because he does make really good tools... But then, I saw a comment he posted, and I thought it was pretty disrespectful to his users, very dickish, so thought why should I really give a rats arse about it as well, especially when he shows contempt to the people that really do give a shit about his product.

Shame, as I think MX2 is really good, I was really starting to enjoy using it, but with the prospect of it being pulled at any given time, as well as the childish comments when someone just wants to offer a little bit of honest advice, then I'm not going in any further...

I'll not be missed, I never brought much to that side of his languages anyway, so, I've just had to look at something a little more sturdy for my coding, and have finally settled on C++/SDL2, which I've ended up in the same place I was a fortnight ago, lol, learning a new setup, but I do think this will be my last time setting up pastures new... C++ and SDL2 arent going away anytime soon, so, hopefully these will be my play things till I cannot tippy tappy a keyboard anymore! :D

Dabz

PS I'm not keen on Unity either, I have tried.. Not my thing really... But I can understand why people do like it, and why it's number one when it comes to game dev, but, for me, it's like using a thermo nuclear bomb to mow the lawn... And a bit too modern too... I'm an old school programmer at heart see! :)
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Steve Elliott

Yes I agree with all that.

I used C++ and SDL2 for a game I've started, with some functions I'm building into a game engine and language:  https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=84

But I have some niggling options at the mo - the draw of 3D!  Which SDL2 doesn't support natively...If only Mark and others would keep their act together, we could simply use their products and get on coding games! lol.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

playniax

I guess I have joined the dark side now 'officially' and even learned to enjoy it...

Brucey

Meh.

I use BlitzMax as it hasn't suddenly broken. I could probably use any language if I really wanted, as they are all basically the same, but I like BlitzMax, and we are improving things all the time with NG, so that's where I'll stay.

I think it's sweet that so many people can't make up their mind what language to use for their project - and perhaps end up half-coding it in several, never for it to get finished. It's always nice to rewrite everything in the newest and shiniest in thing.

Each to their own, I say.
I don't have anything against Unity. It's just a framework for C#.