Other Blitz forum

Started by Rooster, June 09, 2017, 20:15:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

Yue also has a forum for blitz stuff over here at http://blitzbasic.ga/

Xaron

Which was not the best decision actually. Shall I create another one? ;)

No seriously, Qube already had this one running and posted about it.

Steve Elliott

I know, some people don't read lol.  The reason I added that Qube has had a good site before - and therefore a proven track record.  Then skid took down the BB forums.

Besides, Yue is always complaining of lack of money, so I wouldn't be too optimistic the site would stay up.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

GW

I'll say one good thing for the Blitzbasic.ga site. It's a site for blitz users.
This site has only one one topic for blitz languages.  It doesn't mix blitzplus and blitzmax as if they were the same thing.

Qube

Quote from: GW on June 09, 2017, 23:41:22
I'll say one good thing for the Blitzbasic.ga site. It's a site for blitz users.
This site has only one one topic for blitz languages.  It doesn't mix blitzplus and blitzmax as if they were the same thing.
It's easily changed and will be done if needed. I didn't want to just add all the Blitz variants in if half of them never get posted to.

If members think a separate forum for each Blitz variant is needed right now then let me know :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Goodlookinguy

I think 2 subforums would make sense...

- BlitzMax/NG
- BlitzBasic/BlitzPlus/Blitz3D
I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org

Rooster

Sorry, I was sleep deprived when I posted this.
When I posted I think the user count only had a difference of about three users.
Now that I think about it, I should have posted this over there.
And since a good handful them don't have accounts here, I think I will.

degac

Question

the following are only *hypothesis*

I know BlitzMax and BlitzBasic are copyrighted.

Is it possible to create/open a new website (if available) like www.blitzmax.net (for example) without incurring in legal problems?
Of couse is not for selling or ecomic goals.
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

Goodlookinguy

Quote from: degac on June 10, 2017, 12:04:43Is it possible to create/open a new website (if available) like www.blitzmax.net (for example) without incurring in legal problems?

There are three ways I know of to legalize it.

1) Parody: If the site is a parody then it falls under several safe harbor type agreements.
2) Permission: Written and signed legal documentation stating that you can use it.
3) Expired copyright: When the copyright expires, it's free.
I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org

Steve Elliott

I always liked the idea of a multiple language site.

If Qube added every language Mr Sibly ever created - now or in the future, there would be a mass of Forums!  And some largely empty.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

degac

1) I don't mean to make a parody
2) and 3) are the most logic - I will try to ask directly to Mark Sibly at this point.

But in any case I don't want to add a (new) forum (this one should be the solution), I was thinking to make a place just for BlitzMax & NG (package download, manual, modules, code-archive).
And as said, I don't want to make a penny or selling something that is free (and surely copyright of Mark Sibly/BRL).
So nothing will be lost in the sea of 'free and open source code' - something destroyed it, I think to rebuild it in another form and keep 'alive' in some way.

As there will be no more 'blitzbasic.com' to remember the many BRL's languages created, I was thinking that a simple website is easy to maintain.
Try to find something in itchi.io (for example) or patreon: unless you know what are you looking for, you got plenty of results.

www.blitzmax.org

degac

Little OT (It's saturday and it's hot today)!

Personal consideration:
many coders moves to 'free and open-source code', hoping to be supported by fan/user via paypal/patreon etc.
The result?
if they decide to (rightly) just change things or follow another (personal) route... you are left in the middle of nothing.
They have *no* moral/legal due, everything is open and usable at your risk.
If you are good enough you can take the 'open source code' and make what you need. Otherwise...

Moreover people (generally) thinks that if something has no price (or it's free, or it has a very low price), there's no value in it.

I suspect that in (few) time things will change: when they realize that fan support will be not enough, they will come back to 'classic' form of support (annual fee, ticketing for support, etc).
In the meantime people is gone...

End of OT

www.blitzmax.org

Rooster

Quote from: degac on June 10, 2017, 19:39:28
I suspect that in (few) time things will change: when they realize that fan support will be not enough, they will come back to 'classic' form of support (annual fee, ticketing for support, etc).
In the meantime people is gone...
Maybe not the best comparison, but Linux does okay with this.

MikeHart

The free and Open Source projects who are successful have some very motivated people working on it. So it can work.

degac

My post was not so *accurate*: I was refering to single-man project, not at community-project where the mass of developers can grant a result.

Adding this, it's quite clear what I'm pointing out in my *rant*

Ok, sunday, new day, new problems  :D

Have a nice day!
www.blitzmax.org