Reaching the old guys

Started by Xaron, June 09, 2017, 08:07:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Krischan

Quote from: Goodlookinguy on June 10, 2017, 13:34:07If you don't mind waiting for a few days, I should have the forums recreated into a database form. That'll allow it to be searchable.

Oh, take the time you need, I'd be happy if there is any solition at all :-) With the old search on bb.com it was always difficult to retrieve the information I needed so I used Google instead. And I've always been dreaming of a local offline copy of the whole bb.com Community as HTML pages. I know there are site downloaders but never tried it.

Having the posts as single HTML pages including converted crossside links inside the pages would be perfect and much faster.
Kind regards
Krischan

Windows 10 Pro | i7 9700K@ 3.6GHz | RTX 2080 8GB]
Metaverse | Blitzbasic Archive | My Github projects

EdzUp

Would all the links etc

Pity it's shutdown now gone are all the fun thing's like Near Asteroid Defence System or NADS back in the day we had a few weeks of fun with that one.

Loads of other fun things like that all gone now.

Rooster

Quote from: Goodlookinguy on June 10, 2017, 13:34:07
Quote from: Krischan on June 10, 2017, 12:37:31...I can't use Google anymore to search the bb.com site which was always a good help when I've been stuck.

If you don't mind waiting for a few days, I should have the forums recreated into a database form. That'll allow it to be searchable. I'm moving kinda slowly because I'm very low energy right now after a 5 day spree of seemingly unending energy and lack of sleep.

There are some other options, like Yue's copy of the site, but it's not really the same as the data I have. I used my site credentials (cookies in the HTTP Header) to rip all users and pages directly with my own software. No visible post will be missing regardless of any lack of linking from any other sources. skid also has plans to release something, but who knows what it's going to be.
Glad to hear this.
I didn't realize how much I needed some of the stuff I had bookmarked, and hunting through the raw files isn't really an option.

Xaron

Brucey is finally here. :)

Brucey I know you don't know me, but I'm a secret fan.

Rooster

Quote from: Xaron on June 10, 2017, 19:53:41
Brucey is finally here. :)

Brucey I know you don't know me, but I'm a secret fan.
I think he's been here a day or two already.

And who isn't a fan of his? ;D

Brucey

Hi ho!

Interesting times. Hopefully it will all settle down soon, and we can get some semblance of normality back.. wherever that ends up happening.

Goodlookinguy

Quote from: Rooster on June 10, 2017, 19:44:48
Glad to hear this.
I didn't realize how much I needed some of the stuff I had bookmarked, and hunting through the raw files isn't really an option.

I mean, it's not great, but if you're on Windows 7/8/8.1/10, the search bar has some special features. It won't be very fast, but it will work.

content:"Something I'm looking for" - This will search the contents of the files to attempt to find what you're looking for. Be sparse with your wording though, as any word that doesn't come in order would fail the search. You can use wildcards (*) if you aren't sure. e.g. content:Som*awful
filename:example-*.html - If you know the filename, you can also hone in on it further

There are a bunch of others, but they won't really help in this situation.
I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org

Rooster

Quote from: Goodlookinguy on June 10, 2017, 22:23:00
I mean, it's not great, but if you're on Windows 7/8/8.1/10, the search bar has some special features. It won't be very fast, but it will work.
I'd have to get my laptop out for that.
And I assume that what your talking about is the file manager?

Goodlookinguy

Yes, Windows explorer. It's a built in and pretty nifty for these kinds of situations.

MikeHart

Goodlookinguy

Quote from: Goodlookinguy on June 09, 2017, 09:29:05
Quote from: Xaron on June 09, 2017, 08:14:11And I know goodlookingguy has downloaded everything so there should be at least some way to reach out. ;)

Shhh...I have no emails.

If you promise to not abuse or sell it (email lists = money), I can give you the email addresses. I don't feel like you would, and hell, who's to say I'm trustworthy, but I just want to make sure.

I received an email today from a group (or who knows) basically looking to buy the emails I extracted from the BB and Monkey forums. This is quite literally what I was talking about in this message and the reason why I'm stripping them from any output data. That's just irritating. I hate these email buyers and sellers with a passion.

Speaking of data, I'm backing off waiting to see what skid's final thing will be. If I'm not all that happy, I will continue extracting the posts into a searchable database.

Rooster

Quote from: Goodlookinguy on June 13, 2017, 06:54:01
I received an email today from a group (or who knows) basically looking to buy the emails I extracted from the BB and Monkey forums. This is quite literally what I was talking about in this message and the reason why I'm stripping them from any output data. That's just irritating. I hate these email buyers and sellers with a passion.

Good grief, they move fast. Just a few days on a obscure forum, and they found you.

ENAY

Erm, so let me clarify. Skidracer shut down the bb.com site earlier than at the end of this month because there were people trying to archive the site?

MikeHart

Quote from: ENAY on June 13, 2017, 08:19:36
Erm, so let me clarify. Skidracer shut down the bb.com site earlier than at the end of this month because there were people trying to archive the site?

It seems to me that this was the reason.

EdzUp

Quote from: MikeHart on June 13, 2017, 08:21:28
Quote from: ENAY on June 13, 2017, 08:19:36

It seems to me that this was the reason.

Also apparently it is to be reported as a cybercrime to the authorities, that's what he said on the new monkey forum.

http://monkeycoder.co.nz/forums/topic/when-is-the-blitz-website-coming-back/page/2/

post #8603