blitzbasic.com down now?

Started by Rooster, June 09, 2017, 06:32:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodlookinguy

I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org

MikeHart

Guys, let the money talk I say. I am sure some of you still pledge.

Goodlookinguy

I just read that they did plan on releasing archives of the forums. So, even though I asked multiple times if they were going to do that and said I would immediately stop grabbing the site, they ignored me? You know what, they deserved me stressing the server along with anyone else who joined in. Cause that was just a super sh*tty thing to do to your community members. However, my way is still superior. I'm unifying the databases into one through some clever structure I thought of. I'm also linking account IDs and hypothetically, someone could edit their old posts if they could confirm their ID and stuff. It'll also allow the site to look any way you want and not the likely ugly looking read-only backups they're going to provide to everyone.

Steve Elliott

One day after the announcement!  Because not many are interested in monkey 2, Skid doesn't want people to keep in touch and discuss coding anywhere else bar a BRL Site?

The forums better return there until the end of the month as we were told, or Skid has shown himself to be a total arse.

[EDIT]
BB Site edited "As an alternative home, many users may be found hanging out at syntaxbomb.com."
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

c0Zm1c

Funny thing is, the impression I got is that people at the BB forums were generally positive about Monkey 2, particularly with the introduction of 3D. While Mark abandoning Blitz will always hurt (for me, Blitz3D especially), the idea that the BB community was this horrible monster bent on rubbishing everything he's done since was a mostly empty illusion. Ironically, by closing the site and essentially axing the community, it's damaged all remaining good will.

Admittedly though, some of the wording in that FB post is an eye-opener. Mark doesn't care about you or what you want as long as he's coding and making a living - not the greatest advert is it!

degac

Hi

on board here (I fullfilled my Chrome bar of rapid links for all the news websites born/reborn :D!)

I hope that Skid will join here (I don't know if and how I can check) - not to be offended or other *bad* things, just to explain us (and of course it's a community member/founder from the time of bigbang... :D).
'End of the month' still means something different that 'the day after' - even for google translate :P!

In any case - considering the efforts Skid put in the BlitzBasic.com forum lately (favicon, reorganizing forums, new bbcode to add video, sound, posting news, keeping everything working etc) I'm quite sure he's no so happy like us of Mark's decision.
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

Goodlookinguy

Quote from: degac on June 10, 2017, 08:20:38I hope that Skid will join here - not to be offended or other *bad* things...

What? Like me referring to him as a butt monkey recently?

On a serious note, he's already explained himself in the Monkey 2 forums. Which really only made him look like an even worse person, since he didn't bother to explain anything to anyone other than barking orders without reason.

MikeHart

Dedac, you are kidding, right? Your beloved Simon was the one who pulled the plug.

degac

@GoodLookingguy @MikeHart

I know he's not the *most* polite person in the world. I read (too many) of him posts, and I don't think he can't find a job as ambassador or something :)!
And I know he's the one who turned off the forum (and this is a very stupid decision - no doubt - at least left the forum in read only mode...).

But I still think (and hope) that if he would like to join the 'community' he should be welcomed.
We need a restart, not another division.
Considering people passed away (so many!), people gone for other programming solutions, the splitting after Monkey X, and Monkey2 we are very 'few'.
I don't want to join a 'community of old people at the pub remembering the old-good-time' :)
(I'm not so young... but not an excuse to accelerate the time :D)!

Even for Mark.
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

MikeHart

I don't care if he joins here or not. Nor that he cares if I care.

Goodlookinguy

Nor that he cares if you care that he cares that you care.  ;)

Edit: I just realized that this is fully Turing!
Edit again: Or just the start of an infinite loop...

therevills

I am quite surprised (and saddened  :() by the closure of bb.com... from my understanding Simon (Skid) was looking after and paying(?) for the site. Plus he was cleaning up the code base and extending the bb codes to embed external media... why send time and effort updating something that you knew was going to close  ???

Goodlookinguy

Mark was paying for it by his own admission in a post from only a little bit ago.

therevills

Quote from: Goodlookinguy on June 11, 2017, 01:29:55
Mark was paying for it by his own admission in a post from only a little bit ago.

Yeah looks like you are right, back in January Mark wrote this post:

http://monkeycoder.co.nz/forums/topic/maybe-we-should-give-up-on-the-blitzmax-crowd/page/4/#post-6777

Quote from: MarkSiblyI wont be closing bb.com as its its own thing now, with skidracer in charge for extra thrills and spills! In fact, the site's probably still only there 'coz of skid (it only costs me money) so please don't hassle him too much.

Rooster

Quote from: MarkSiblyI wont be closing bb.com as its its own thing now,
I find this a little strange.
Did he give any other indication that he was going to close the site in between then and now?