blitzbasic.com down now?

Started by Rooster, June 09, 2017, 06:32:11

Previous topic - Next topic

GW

Quoteconsidering the efforts Skid put in the BlitzBasic.com forum lately
You mean constantly deleting threads and banning anyone who said something he didn't agree with?
Many times I saw threads get deleted just for saying 'i'm not interested in monkey2'.

degac

No, I mean the BBcode for sound/video, the reorganization of gallery & forum, etc.
In the last months he did many things than in the 10 years before.
Then, as said, we could discuss about the Skid politeness and so on for eternity: things can't be changed.
In any case, I'm not Skid's angel, advocate or judge, I just want to point out the need of a fresh restart for Blitzbasic community without focus only on the problems of the pasts.
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

Kryzon

It's indeed odd to spend time implementing itch.io, soundcloud embedding etc. to just take it all down later.

degac

QuoteIt's indeed odd to spend time implementing itch.io, soundcloud embedding etc. to just take it all down later.

I'm quite sure it's a Mark decision.
You looked at the man with the plug in the hand, but not to the instigator!
www.blitzmax.org

Kryzon

TomToad

Skid has posted a blog about the mirror he is creating here. http://nitrologic.blogspot.co.nz/2017/06/mirror-constellation-for-legacy.html
Good news for all those old posts.  Hopefully, Mark can transfer the blitzbasic.com and blitmax.com domains to skid so all the links and such will still point to the right place.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

degac

Well, it seems that a BETA of the forum & other is online

http://wasted.nz/forums.php

Good!
www.blitzmax.org

3DzForMe

Well, moderating / controlling / running a forum is not the cake walk most peeps think it might be.

I set up a forum for my local archery club a few years ago and had to take the forum element down due to the headaches.

So, I for one, applaud skid's efforts that kept BB.com doing the bizness for at least the first part of this year. I've been trying to break my coding habit, get out and smell the flowers a bit more. Then end of bb.com will help that.

I still get a lot from the HTML5 target of MonkeyX.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Qube

QuoteWell, moderating / controlling / running a forum is not the cake walk most peeps think it might be.
It's not easy running a forum and if they are to succeed they need time and effort from everyone involved and also a stroke of luck in general. Will this forum be successful? I don't know, but from my side I'm willing to do my best but ultimately it's up to the members to make it their home. It's always down to the members to take the time and effort to build a place. Admins and moderators are nothing without the community members.

QuoteI set up a forum for my local archery club a few years ago and had to take the forum element down due to the headaches.
Were you suffering from a clique who's leader was just a loud mouth know it all? - Someone who thought they knew shit but didn't know shit. It's always clear who's just out to cause trouble. Get rid of them from the outset. Those who want to put the effort into making a community just get on and do it.

QuoteSo, I for one, applaud skid's efforts
I think Skid is just one deep breath away from being a great forum owner. As a personal observation I feel that he just reacted too quickly to situations but after he calmed down he was a pretty decent guy. I've never spoken to him personally but I get the impression that I'd find him a totally different guy in real life.

I also think he's genuinely sad to see the end of BB / Monkey forums and it's such a shame that there was never an option to crowd fund the continuation of them. If there was an option then I could personally guarantee that funding them would not be an issue ( contact me if this is an option ).

Did Skid and I always see eye to eye? no, we did not, but that's just a "forum personality" clash and nothing really personal. He was making great efforts to boost the features of the BB forums towards the end and it's just a great sadness that such a solid community that we've been apart of for years and years had to end.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Rick Nasher

*The whole matter still sort of has a bad smell..

ENAY

From a business point of view most of us at BB.com were there because we've always been there. None of us (or most) were even interested in Monkey, so why would they have to pay for us to (in effect) talk down Blitz Research's newest product. As annoying as it is to me and you, Skid and Sibly didn't have too or need a forum to be there. The fact the site still exists, just without a forum should easily prove this point.

Rick Nasher

Problem is that basically they put a stop to any growth to it without the forums.
For how would anyone for instance post something into the Code Archives, which are now really only archives frozen in time instead of an breathing, evolving, ever expanding, living thing to good use of anyone. A library that doesn't get new books if aging soon.

Now, we may have these forums here, but information scattered instead everything in one easy to find familiar place loses part of it's appeal and convenience and was part of the ecosystem that made up the Blitz world.

Ideally the code archives would reside here too, including the ability to add to them.

Dabz

Am I right in thinking that the code archives on the now defunct official site were PD?

If so, there's literally no reason why all that information can be held here... Just a thought!

I never visited the site in a very long time, I was pretty much sick of the anti-propriety software vibe going off, and the usual one man wars against MS and Windows, and on occasions, some people thinking piracy was a good thing, which it isnt, not when your an indie coder and you see your work get ripped left, right and centre!

But, with that, I did enjoy my time there, it's a place which has been there through my bad times and good, I have fond memories linked to it, it's a shame but to be fair, I always knew the day would come when it was going to go... Theres always an end to an era, and with Blitz, we hit it!

Anyway, it's their call at the end of the day, I can pretty much see the whole lot dying in the next couple of years, I dont believe monkey2 will have much of an impact, probably less then monkey1.

We've just got to chin it up and move on, I literally have no idea what language I'll use when I get the spark back, but thats something I'll have to look at when I start playing again.

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Rooster

@Dabz
Qube said he got permission to bring the code archives here. :)

Dabz

Ah right, well, I must of missed that, but, since they are deemed public domain, I couldnt figure why it would of been an issue! :D

Good though! :)

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit