New Build!

Started by therevills, June 09, 2017, 05:57:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodlookinguy

Only 8 years of stuff? I have about 25TB of stuff over the last 15 years. I never go through most of it, I just keep transferring it over...

Setting up the software and dev tools doesn't take that long. This is my up-to-date install list. I end up installing a system like every 6 months, so I'm used to this.

This is what I install: JDK, Android SDK, VS2017, JetBrain's stuff, vMicro, MinGW, Eclipse, PhpStorm, Notepad++, Android Studio, TortoiseGit, TortoiseHg, 010 editor, and FileZilla

After that I install like 20 other pieces of software for video codecs/watching (CCCP, VLC), photo editing (Photoshop, Affinity Photo, Graphics Gale), sound/music editing (GoldWave, forgot the name of the sound maker), local server (xampp), video encoding (MKVToolnix, MP4Box, Handbrake), office programs (OpenOffice), remote administration (PuTTY), video streaming (OBS Studio, Elgato), VPN Service (OpenVPN), Win 8/10 (Classic Shell), zip software (Bandizip, 7zip), PDF reader (Foxit Reader), communication/development (Skype, Chrome, Firefox), and network analysis (Wireshark, Pingy (my software))

This is what I do on every time reinstall. I have all of the software on a USB drive so that I don't have to remember. It's too much when I look at it on a list like this.
I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org

Rooster

Quote from: Goodlookinguy on June 10, 2017, 06:49:16
Only 8 years of stuff? I have about 25TB of stuff over the last 15 years. I never go through most of it, I just keep transferring it over...

Goodlookinguy

Accurate view of that. XKCD knows how to nail things like that though.

Steve Elliott

Looks like a serious piece of kit...Keyboard looks boring in comparison though  :o
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Goodlookinguy

Quote from: Steve Elliott on June 10, 2017, 12:58:18
Looks like a serious piece of kit...Keyboard looks boring in comparison though  :o

How did I miss that? That keyboard does look boring. Maybe it's more about usability rather than aesthetics.

Steve Elliott

lol.  I do find I get much less strain typing on a small wireless keyboard - and it takes-up far less space (and no wire clutter).  Small wireless mouse too.  A very comfy setup.

Wireless Advent keyboard, notebook mouse from Logitech.  I'll have to get some links.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/mice-and-keyboards/keyboards/advent-akbmm15-wireless-keyboard-10100827-pdt.html

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rooster

I'm all for reducing wire clutter, but having to replace batteries would drive me nuts.

therevills

Only 8 years of stuff?

Well 8 years since the last build, I've got years and years of other data...

Keyboard looks boring in comparison though  :o

Haha! Yeah... but I've been using it for the 8 years of the old dev box, havent missed a bit and if you look closely you can see the text has come off some of the keys!

I've recently bought a new Logitech G105 keyboard... now need a new mouse to replace my aging Logitech MX518.

Dropbox took nearly all day yesterday to download and sync!

Goodlookinguy

Quote from: therevills on June 11, 2017, 01:19:50
Only 8 years of stuff?

Well 8 years since the last build, I've got years and years of other data...

It's a hard habit to break, huh? It all seems important, but most of it probably isn't.

Quote from: therevills on June 11, 2017, 01:19:50
Keyboard looks boring in comparison though  :o

Haha! Yeah... but I've been using it for the 8 years of the old dev box, havent missed a bit and if you look closely you can see the text has come off some of the keys!

I have a tendency to wear down the nubs on the F and J keys after about 3/4 years, making it unusable. So I'm astonished that you managed to keep it going for 8 years. (I do type at 200 WPM, so friction might have something to do with my problem)

EdzUp

best keyboard I every used was the original Microsoft Ergonomic Elite it was a dream to use. Second is Apples own aluminium keyboards.

PC keyboard mostly feel tacky and click to me

MikeHart

Oh yes, I love the keyboard on my Imac. Have to find something similar for my PC.

Goodlookinguy

I don't like giving Apple credit for anything, but you know what, I never thought about this before. My Apple keyboard from my iMac is the only keyboard I have still going 6 years later. I didn't even realize that the nubs hadn't worn down. They must have used tougher material than a lot of the keyboards I use normally (which are usually super flat keyboards).

Goodlookinguy

@therevills Now that it's been a few days, how are you liking the new machine? Does it feel like a worthwhile upgrade from what you had?

EdzUp

Weirdly enough I used to be on the upgrade train and upgraded every new bit of tech I got. After a while I noticed the speed increase was OK BUT negligible so I stopped now I just use a machine that actually runs the stuff I need.

therevills

Quote from: EdzUp on June 13, 2017, 12:17:34
I used to be on the upgrade train

Same here, but need to watch the pennies (cents) now.  :P

Quote from: Goodlookinguy on June 13, 2017, 12:08:49
@therevills Now that it's been a few days, how are you liking the new machine? Does it feel like a worthwhile upgrade from what you had?

I havent had to to fully use it, but it boots and in Windows in 10 seconds, I've only played one game (Rising Storm 2) on ultra settings and its as smooth as butter!

I'm currently downloading some of the newer games in my collection which I havent really play due to performance issues on the old box.