Sad state of the movies

Started by col, November 18, 2017, 20:06:43

Previous topic - Next topic

col

There is literally zero imagination for the next years mainstream movies!!!

Hans Solo
- Star Wars spin off

Avengers: Inifinity War
- Avengers again

The Predator
- Sequel

Bad Boys for Life
- Sequel

Pacific Rim: Uprising
- Sequel

Ant Man and The Wasp
- Sequel

Wreck It Ralph 2
- Sequel

Black Panther
-  Marvel

AquaMan
- Marvel

Tomb Raider
- Sequel type of prequel thing

The Incredibles 2
- Sequel

Jurassic World Sequel
- lol

Mission Impossible 6
- Sequel

A Wrinkle in Time
- Film of a book

The Flash
- Marvel reboot

Jungle Book
- Remake, reboot

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them 2
- Sequel

Mary Poppins Returns
- Reboot, remake

- Sequel

Maze Runner: The Death Cure
- Sequel

Ready Player One
- Movie about 80s game player

Rampage
- Movie about 80s game

How the Gringe Stole Christmas
- Reboot, remake

Deadpool 2
- Sequel

So a couple/few debatable 'new movies'.
Such a shame when we all know it's the accountants are running the show nowadays - boring.
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Matty

There's only so many plot elements.  But if you want interesting new ideas dont look to the mainstream films.

Or....do something about it and write an original script.

Dabz

I watch very few movies now... Basically, the fundamental is:-

1) Meet the characters
2) Everything is happy
3) Things go tits up
4) Characters fix shit
5) Everyone is happy again
6) The end

And thats it really... Done!

And then you have some ludicrous in plot bollocks as well, like:-

[A couple, who have split prior, in a military room while there is an alien invasion going on]

Character 1 [Woman]: How are we going to get into the alien mainframe?
Character 2 [Man] : Welllll... This might just work... It's a long shot... But, I'll download Blitzmax and Bruceys wxWidgets module, then build an entire 3D file navigation explorer, we should be able to hack into the alien mainframe with that...

[2 minutes later, and the pair of them looking at a monitor, watching 3D bollocks on a screen... Then all of a sudden, it looks rosey]

Character 2 : WE'RE IN!!!!
Character 1 : YESSSSSSSSSSS, your the best, I dont know why we thought of getting divorced!!!

[Big hugs all around]

^That happens all the time, and it's just sheer bollocks

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Naughty Alien

..basically..thats algorithm Hollywood uses to milk us all..kind a boring really..

Steve Elliott

Tom Cruise is the master of cliche.  Basically every movie Tom Cruise saves the world.  Not made a decent film since Collateral.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

Lack of creativity in Hollywood/unwilling to take a risk?

Got some great ideas for movies/scripts(or games), but:
A) Afraid Hollywood would rip me..
B) Are they even remotely interested in not yet proven to be a hit game or movie, seeing the current safe track of sequel formulas..

ENAY

The thing is though, it's just a sign of the times. Since stories in things like The Matrix, and year 2000 when special effects become good enough to become real.
Avatar was a hit in 2008, because it was the first film to have 3D.

Like books, then lke radio, TV, and now Cinema. Newer and more exciting forms of entertainment have come out. I've found that games due to them being an interactive media, they are fast becoming the same gfx as movies, except it's dynamic. And then there's VR. No matter how good the story is, in a game, you're part of the action, you get to experience a story and you are there.

Cinemas are expensive, and inconvenient. People want their content
As a result, there isn't as much investment there. As a result movie studios have to make what they know will return an investment. In other words, endless sequels and movie spin offs on what is already popular.
I've been to the cinema three times this decade and one of them was Avatar. Young people can't sit still for 5 minutes without checking their smartphones, something which of course is not easy or is frowned on at the cinema.

Plus the young crowd, they'll just watch movies, listen to music for free on youtube. Along with the main stream media, the future of technology is changing, investment and development is moving to new areas.

Where are the Arnold Schwarzeneggers, the Michael Jacksons? Super mega stars are rare these days, there isn't as much money there now. And the cherry on the top of the cake is, everything in films has to be diluted down and be non triggering to appease to feminists and SJWs. Everything is racist, everything is sexist, so films can't be innovative anymore.

The Sad state of the movies WILL get worse. I'm afraid.

col

Yeah, things are quite stale in all areas of entertainment if you're looking for something new.
Hopefully it's just a phase and a sign of the times.

You know you're getting old when you start to sound like your dad and grandpa = 'it was much better when we were younger'  :P

QuoteWhere are the Arnold Schwarzeneggers, the Michael Jacksons?
Yep and for gaming where are the Matthew Smiths and Jeff Minters?

muruba

I'm watching "law abiding citizen" now, not bad at all

Steve Elliott

I'm watching "law abiding citizen"

That's a good film.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Dabz

This is the last film I enjoyed watching...

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3118452/

Pretty original, and thought provoking!

Well worth a watch!

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

col

They are pretty good movies.

I thought Fracture was an OK thriller, worth a watch, and maybe Passengers for a love story with a bit of moral drama thrown in here and there.

I watched a french movie recently ( although I'm sure it wasn't a new movie ) about a guy and his wife just moved into a new house outside of the cities. Turns out that through some strange twists and events that the things happening to him involve a rather strange time travel paradigm. I can't even remember the name of it, lol.

ps. I'm also rinsing through 'Game of Thrones' for the third time now. It's like one huge movie quality epic series.

ENAY

I watched "eXistenZ" on youtube a few ago for the first time, and boy, films from 1999 certainly rule.
Classic David Cronenberg.

Qube

QuoteNot made a decent film since Collateral.
Was that after The Edge of Tomorrow ( Live Die Repeat )? - I enjoyed that movie. I don't mind a good old Groundhog day type film.

But yes, there are way too many super budget CGI banal films for my liking these days.

Out of all the films I'd love to see a really decent good remake of are "North sea hijack", "The Devil rides out", "By dawns early light", "Deadly friend" and "By the sword". Probably too old for you young whipper snappers to know any of those :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

IanMartin

Ready Player One is going to be very cool.  I read the book it's based on.  I've been a fan of Ernie Cline since the early 2000s.  If you grew up in the 80s or are a fan of 80s culture, you will probably love it.

But yeah, I get what you are saying...not a lot of originality in what's being made now.  My least favorite trend in movies is 'rebooting' the origin story after only 5 years or so.  I think it makes sense if the last version was made 20 years before CGI existed, but when the last origin story is still in recent memory it doesn't seem necessary.

Platfinity (made with BlitzMax) on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365440/Platfinity/