September 23, 2017, 05:22:04 PM

Author Topic: Raise hands, who uses Unity?  (Read 767 times)

Offline playniax

• Playniax
Re: Raise hands, who uses Unity?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 11:51:42 AM »
I gave it a quick look, never like it BUT I am going to dig in soon because I want to sell my assets on the Unity store because that is the market to be I guess.

Offline IanMartin

• Retrolutionary.com
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 01:58:03 AM »
Yeah, the closing of shop and the 'go use Monkey 2 even though it doesn't do what you need or want' thing has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

If Monkey2 turns out to be great, OK, but I have to look at it as something that may disappear at any time.  I don't think I can write code for something I'm trying to sell in a language that may just be 404 one day.  I have hundreds of Bookmarks that now point to the empty BlitzBasic site. 

Platfinity (made with BlitzMax) on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365440/Platfinity/

Offline playniax

• Playniax
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 10:47:43 AM »
If Monkey2 turns out to be great

Well, slowly Monkey2 ( 2d ) has turned in something great but I get that some people don't like it. With the exception for Desktop the targets are a b!tch to set up the first time around but even that isn't that hard once you done it. I think that could be improved a lot. Other than that, the language is great! Performance is great! For people saying it's close to C# or whatever, I strongly disagree. Syntax almost the same as BlitzMax. Just a bit more strict which is a good thing once you get used to it and the initiation differs a bit. AGK looks more interesting by the day too as far as specs go but then again, nothing special about the language.

Unity starts to look more interesting for me because we produce assets and tools so I am exploring that right now. One thing though, for the type of game I like to make ( 2d platformers, shooters and arcade types ) nothing beats BRL stuff as far as language and performance goes.

Yes, Mark is a one man show and he can stop developing tommorow but it's all free and open source now so that is no disadvantage to most of the alternatives.